Monday, October 22, 2018

on reading

It's become a tradition (three years running) to indulge Star Wars books come wintertime. Though I jumped two months ahead, this year's Star Wars reading wasn't disappointing. Both were Han Solo trilogies that I wanted to read before watching the "new" Han Solo movie. The first trilogy, by A.C. Crispin, covers Han Solo's early life up to A New Hope; the second, by Roger M. Allen, revolves around Han Solo about a decade after the Thrawn Trilogy. Both trilogies are 'legends' because they're not Disney's take on things, but I prefer the Legends over the new stuff anyways. 


I'm hoping Naomi will get into Star Wars, or at least find it enjoyable. Chloe thinks Star Wars is ridiculous, but I think deep down she may not be as negative towards it as she acts. Ashley for sure doesn't like it; she can't get into anything too "spacey". Zoey, on the other hand, is enthralled with it. A few nights ago at dinner Ashley made the mistake of asking what the difference was between a clone trooper and a storm trooper, so everyone had to listen to a narrative about the Clone Wars, the rise of the Empire, and the Rebellion. Ash and Chloe could've cared less, but Zoey was enthralled. 

A couple years ago I gifted Chloe with my hardback original-issue Harry Potter series. She says she doesn't like it, it's too confusing, but she tried starting it at Book Six. I've encouraged her to try again from the first, but she's just not having it. Well, just 'cause she doesn't want to read them doesn't mean I can't, so for most of the month I rediscovered the Harry Potter series. I hate the movies compared to the books. 



No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...