Monday, December 03, 2018

on reading



I've wrapped up 2018's gauntlet through Napoleonic Era historical fiction: the first fifteen books of Bernard Cornwell's 'Richard Sharpe' series and the first seven of the late Patrick O'Brian's 'Aubrey and Maturin' Series. I've been a fan of Cornwell since reading his Arthurian trilogy back in late 2016, and though I read some O'Brian in 2008, it wasn't until now that I've been able to fully appreciate it. Cornwell started writing fiction when he moved to the States from England; inspired by C.S. Forester's Hornblower Saga (which I have yet to read), he put pen to paper, and the rest is history. While Cornwell's Sharpe Series focuses on the British army in the Napoleonic Wars, O'Brian focuses on the Navy. His novels capture the tediousness and terror of war on the high seas, and he expertly weaves crisp and precise action with witty and believable dialogue. 

Chloe, perhaps tired of hearing me extol the Aubrey and Maturin chronicles, and with an eye towards catching me unawares, fouled up by rearranging my box sets of the books:



No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...