Monday, March 18, 2019

the year in books [V]

It’s been difficult finding time to read because of this baby girl (pictured to the left), but I’ve managed to get a few more books under my belt. I’ve stayed true to my goal of focusing predominantly on books from the library. This month I finished a gauntlet of horror, science fiction, and American westerns. Dad came by the house and saw that I was reading The Amityville Horror; he read that one when it first came out. He would’ve been my age then, which is a funny coincidence (but aren’t all coincidences, by their very nature, ‘funny’?). The Enders Game Saga was a spur-of-the-moment library pick. I liked the front cover of Earth Unaware and decided to see what Orson Scott Card can do. His writing is fantastic, and he interweaves science and alien thrashing with brilliant psychological insights. I’d never the movie Ender’s Game, and after finishing the saga (or the first half of it, anyways; the story continues with four more books), I checked it out and was blown away. No wonder so many people have praised it! I discovered Jeff Guinn’s Glorious at the Norwood Library during an outing with our day program, and it was so good I had to see the main character’s story through to the end. 






No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...