Monday, October 07, 2019

the reformation: hiccups



Progress in my reformation came in fits and starts this past month due to a round of sicknesses. It was inevitable, really, with Chloe and Zoey in school and summer transitioning to autumn. This time of year is always a shit-show, and I’m lucky if I get out of it with nothing more than a cold. Such luck was not mine this year, and I was laid up for three out of the last four weeks. The first culprit was a sinus infection made worse by my (stupid) choice of mowing the lawn during Ragweed Peak Week. My left-side sinus cavity swelled up like a balloon, and the pain radiated into my teeth and jaw. My off-and-on hypochondria kicked into full-swing, and I at any given time I was juggling multiple diagnoses. “The great WebMD’er,” Ash mused. I bit the bullet and scheduled a doctor’s appointment (a sign of desperation for a nerve-wracked hypochondriac like myself), but I ended up cancelling it as the infection subsided. I did learn a good lesson through it all, though: be careful using clove oil! Though clove oil worked wonders on easing the pain in my mouth, it dried the hell out of my lips and made them numb. Skin was peeling off my lips like those of a leper. Soon as I seemed to be healed (for isn’t this how these things work?) I came down with something resembling the flu. My first assumption was that it was due to getting multiple vaccines to see my niece who’ll be in the NICU for several months, but once it spread to Naomi, it became apparent that it was something else (as yet unnamed).

I’m starting to feel better (knock on cedar), but I’m a bit disheartened at having lost three weeks of weight lifting. The plus side is that I was extremely under my caloric daily limit, and I’ve plunged into the 150s. The downside is that when I resumed my weight lifting routine yesterday, I felt weak as a twelve-year-old girl. Hopefully getting some heavy calories into my body and continuing to recovery will help me make up for lost time.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...