Monday, December 23, 2019

the year in books [XXIV]



This next batch of fiction includes some pretty great reads. George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones was far better than the first season of the HBO Miniseries. I tried watching the series in tandem with the book, but the book far outweighed it in every sense of the word, and I gave up. In truth I read this book back in January, nigh on a year ago, when Naomi was born. My goal is to read a book in the series each year around Naomi's birthday; at this rate, she'll be close to seven by the time I get to the upcoming book, and maybe by then Martin will have it written!

Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts was an excellent paranormal thriller. David Dyer's The Midnight Watch looks at the aftermath of the R.M.S. Titanic disaster. I read Stephen King's It in anticipation of the second installment in the recent film franchise. As Ashley thinks clowns are stupid, we have yet to carve out time for the movie. The book was great, albeit long at over a thousand pages. King doesn't mess around when it comes to telling a story. Elmore Leonard's Comfort to the Enemy was pretty good; his prose and dialogue reminds me a lot of Hemingway and Loren D. Estleman. Jennifer McMahon's The Winter People was decent, but I don't think I'll be reading anything else of hers. You win some and you lose some!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...