Wednesday, May 27, 2020

the year in books [IX]



This next update of my gauntlet of 2020 books is a slew of run-of-the-mill fiction. Clive Cussler's Devil's Gate (4⭐️) was a quick but forgettable read (these tend to be the case with his adventure books, but that isn't to say they aren't enjoyable). Chuck Pahlanuik's Beautiful You was a big disappointment (which is why it gets a rare 1⭐️rating), and I'm not alone in my assessment: it happens to be one of his least popular works. Cussler's The Jungle (4⭐️), like Devil's Gate, was also excellent yet forgettable. Lee Child's The Enemy (5⭐️) isn't so forgettable; it's my introduction to the Jack Reacher series (popularized in film). Though The Enemy is the eighth book in the series, it's first chronologically. It's definitely made me itch to read more of the series. J.D. Robb's futuristic detective story Naked in Death started off enthralling but quickly dovetailed into a romance (which is why I'm giving it 3⭐️). I had to slog through it. Seeing as J.D. Robb is a pen-name for Nora Roberts, I shouldn't have been surprised at the romance that snuck its way in. Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Identity (5⭐️) is my favorite of this slew of books; it's quick-paced, action-packed, and engrossing. I look forward to reading the other books of his Bourne Trilogy (and Ash and I will undoubtedly be watching the film adaptation soon!). 

Next up tomorrow: six fantasy books!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...