Friday, January 29, 2021

the year in books [I]



The first entry in this year's 'Reading Queue' is a continuation of the Star Wars: Legends (with the addition of From A Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back, which is considered Disney canon). Barbara Hambly's Planet of Twilight and Vonda McIntyre's The Crystal Star were honestly duds, but Mcdowell's Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy was a breath of fresh air. As much as I love reading Star Wars books and immersing myself in that universe (yes, I'm a dork, and unashamedly so), the bitter truth is that most Star Wars books simply aren't that great. This has been changing over the last few decades, but unfortunately most of the Legends fall into the category of sub-par. McDowell's books, while nothing extraordinary, are a cut above most of the Star Wars Legends books. 

On a better note, however, are all the new Star Wars spin-offs promised by Disney. I'm excited by a lot of these, particularly Rogue Squadron and the Obi-Wan Kenobi movie. I've never grown tired of telling my daughters about the time I made Obi-Wan one of the best lattes he'd ever had (Ewan McGregor came into Tazza Mia nigh on a decade ago, ordered a latte, and was blown away at how good it tasted). The funny thing is, despite being a Star Wars fanatic, I didn't even realize it was him until after the fact. Had I known, I may have attempted to draw a foam R2-D2 on top. 



No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...