Monday, April 26, 2021

the reformation [1/2]



When I started this journey of getting back into shape in December 2018, I was 190 pounds at around 30% body fat. Last week I clocked in at 175# and between 22-23% bodyfat. As a side note, it's crazy that you can drop up to seven percent in body fat and only lose fifteen pounds. Of course, that's a net loss of fifteen pounds; I've added a significant amount of muscle over the last two-odd years. Over those two years I've focused on building muscle rather than losing weight, and this year my focus will be on cutting some of the fat that remains stubbornly affixed to my frame. 

My goal for December of 2021 - the three-year mark - is to clock in at 145 pounds. For my body shape and height, 156 pounds is considered in the 'healthy' range, so that'll give me plenty of leeway for focusing on muscle mass once more. These posts are, of course, my way of holding myself accountable. I plan on hitting that goal by employing a moderate caloric deficit - consuming between 1350-1500 calories six days a week with a 'refeed' of about 1800-2000 calories once a week, likely on Sundays when we go all-out for Sunday Brunch - and keeping consistent with my weight training. Lately I've been alternating between free weight and handle-bands for my workouts, along with your classic push-ups and pull-ups regimens, with good success. I've shifted from focusing on arms and chest to paying particular attention to my shoulders and traps, hoping to widen my upper body to counteract my pear-shaped gut. We'll see how it works!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...