Saturday, July 31, 2021

the year in books [VII]



The eighth installment of 2021's reading queue is a collection of old authors and new ones. Max Brooks' World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War is a great take on the zombie genre. Though I'm no longer as interested in zombies as I used to be (perhaps it was a phase?), I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Next on the list is Stephen King's Insomnia, which (to be honest) I didn't really like. It was slow-moving and weird. We Are Unprepared is a novel from an author I haven't read, and though it was anticlimatic, her characterization was solid. Matterhorn is a work of fiction that takes place during the Vietnam War, and it's honestly one of the best books I've ever read. Seriously: buy this book and read it. John Grisham's Street Lawyer was a moving tale about a high-profile lawyer who gives up the rich and fancy good life to work with the embittered poor in the city's slums, and David Poyer's Onslaught is the first in a six-book series about the third world war. It was an interesting read, and I may continue with the series in the future - but it certainly was no Matterhorn.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...