Tuesday, August 31, 2021

the year in books [VIII]



The ninth installment of my 2021 Reading Queue is a bittersweet one, for it marks the end of my four-year journey through the collected works of Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin Series and Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe Series. Both series span the Napoleonic Wars, and I read them in tandem chronologically. O'Brien masterfully dealt with naval exploits on the High Seas, and Cornwell carried us through the British adventures fighting against Napoleon's French armies in the early 19th century. I'll sorely miss these characters, and already I'm itching for another historical fiction series to begin reading through. There are some historical fiction lists I've compiled for both the American Revolution and Civil War, and there are a few series that also take place during the Napoleonic Wars. We'll see what happens. But, man, I'm pretty bummed to be done with these books. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...