Friday, July 29, 2022

the year in books [XI]



This month I wrapped up another gauntlet of Young Earth Creationism books. I find the subject fascinating, though I'm not convinced of the 'Answers in Genesis' take on Genesis 1 and 2. While I find myself leaning towards a 'younger earth' for a variety of reasons - scriptural, philosophical, and scientific reasons - I'm not quite ready to make the leap that we can trace the creation of the world back to 4004 BC.  The Genesis texts are notoriously difficult to interpret, and while I generally promote 'plain sense' readings of Scripture, it's obvious that the prose of the Genesis creation accounts is stock full of imagery, symbolism, apologetic and polemic. It's definitely not a poem, but that doesn't necessarily mean it must be taken as 'straight history' in the way that westerners tend to view history. At the same time, I'm convinced that evolution is a bunch of bunk, that Adam and Eve were historical, that Noah's Flood was global in extent and resulted in the reshaping of earth's geology and ecosystems, and that the Tower of Babel was a real event. I'm looking forward to reading more on the subject in the future. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...