Saturday, December 29, 2007

creepy dreams

A friend and I had survived the plague and were holed up on the top floor of a warehouse. We had installed titanium plates over the windows that would open at dawn and close at dusk. We had been doing quite well for ourselves, but a gang of survivors wished to take our hideout as their own. They came close to dusk, climbing through the windows and attacking us. We tried to fight them off, but they captured us. They took us outside to leave us for the humans-turned-vampires, but we escaped and climbed ladders to the upper windows. They followed just as dusk began to set. My friend was the first through the window, and I was climbing after him. The titanium plates over the windows began to close. I squirmed my torso through the window, but one of the gang members had grabbed my ankle and was pulling me back, hysterical as she tried to yank me out so she could get in. Terror gripped us all. I remember my friend yelling at me, and me yelling back—“She’s got me! She’s got me!” The windows continued to close. I knew that if I didn’t get free, they would cut me in half, right along the pelvis. But I knew that if I let go, an even worst fate awaited me as night fell. We began to hear them emerging from the shadows of the surrounding buildings, grotesque and unimaginable in their horror. They scurried back and forth below. One of the gang members had been at the bottom, lost in confusion, and her screams met my ears as they overtook her. The ladder began to shake, and I looked down, past the woman holding my ankle, and saw several vampires ascending the ladder. I kicked my ankle as hard as I could. The titanium plates were drawing closer. The woman shrieked at me, “Let me in! Let me in!” I felt my ankle jerk, and then her grip was gone; I glanced down to see one of the vampires grabbing her leg and pulling. She clung to the ladder, face ashen, then the creature won: she tumbled through the air, screaming as she fell, and landed among them at the building—luckily, she was killed on impact. They vampires hungrily yelped and shouted as they tore apart her corpse. The other vampire was right on me; I quickly kicked my way through the window, tumbling along the floor. I scurried like a crab onto my feet, just in time to see the vampire coming through, eyes maniacal, teeth stained a morbid yellow. It gave a shuddering cry, then my friend appeared, swinging a wooden beam. It cracked into the vampire’s skull an sent it tumbling back. The titanium plates closed shut, and we stood panting in the gloom of the upper warehouse floor, our ears ignited with the sounds of the vampires down below, hungrily feasting. 

The dead were returning to life to feast on the living. Becky, Jessie, Scuttle, Lydia and I were holed up at Becky and Jessie’s house in Michigan. We’d been there several weeks. The windows were boarded up and the doors locked. We spent nearly all our time in the house, unless we needed to venture out for food, which one never did alone. So far we had been lucky, but a horde of zombies had found us. They threw themselves against the wooden doors, shrieking, hammering, trying to get in. We rushed upstairs, into Becky’s bedroom. We all huddled together, hearts racing, trying to listen, to see what was happening, but the noises of the rampaging zombies were all but muted by our ferocious heartbeats. We heard the glass windows shatter and the wooden boards splinter. Then they began moving through the first floor, knocking things over in their thirst to find us. We all cowered together, rigid with fear. “They’re coming up,” Jessie said. She had better hearing than all of us. No one doubted her. Becky rushed forward to shut the door to her room; but as she reached the door, a bloated, vein-ridden arm reached through the crack and grabbed her. She let out a scream. Lydia ran forward to help just as Becky was yanked into the hallway. Lydia darted after her, despite Scuttle’s pleas for her to remain with the rest of us. Jessie fell onto Becky’s bed, sobbing for her sister. I stood planted where I was, unable to move. Lydia had disappeared into the hallway; we heard another scream. She appeared in the doorway, leaning in, then her eyes bulged and she was jerked away. The sounds of crunching meat and splitting bones filled our ears. A pool of blood appeared running down the carpet in the hallway. A shadow fell over us, one of the zombies standing there, wearing a bloodied t-shirt and frayed jeans. It had once been a beautiful teenage girl; now it had become a monster. It lunged inside, and then I woke up.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...