Sunday, August 19, 2018

on reading (part dos)



I've finished my thirty-book reading queue for the early modern world, and along with it I've finished a third of the Sharpe and Aubrey-Maturin series (my goal for the year). Cornwell and O'Brian are purely masterful at spinning yarns set in the Napoleonic Era, and I look forward to biting off another great chunk of their works next year. For the time being, I'm turning away from history (and historical fiction) to check off more 2018 reading goals: read the Harry Potter series in its entirety (I gave Chloe my box-set from childhood, but she's too cool to read them), finish Kim S. Robinson's Mars trilogy (along with a spattering of science fiction from Arthur C. Clarke and other writers), and dip my toes into classic American westerns in the spirit of Louis L'Amour and Ron Hansen). If I have time I'll reread some of Peter Benchley's works which I adored when I was Chloe's age. Knowing I won't be able to survive off fiction alone for the next four months, I'm also going to read some much-anticipated scholarly works in the field of the Dinosauria. 

And speaking of dinosaurs, here's a meme I just can't in good conscience keep to myself:



No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...