Tuesday, November 27, 2018

on reading (II)


I got a little anxious to start plowing through histories of the ancient world (part of my 2019 Reading Queue), so I knocked out a handful two months before the new year starts. Roman history has always fascinated me, and these short little books are excellent in capturing the scope of the Roman Empire. While most people believe the Roman Empire fell to the barbarians in 476 AD, in reality the Roman Empire continued up until the very end of the medieval era. The eastern Roman empire continued until 1453 when Constantinople was sacked by the Ottomans. I plan on reading a few more Roman histories, but what I'm most excited about are some 'primary documents' from the era: Julius Caesar's The Gallic Wars and The Civil Wars, as well as Seutonius' The Twelve Caesars. I'm also throwing in a little bit of Greek history, and coupling all of it with historical fiction that takes place during the Greek and Roman eras. 2019 will be delightful!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...