Monday, April 08, 2019

the reformation: four months in

the wife says I'm a cross between number
one and three from the left

This week marks four months of becoming increasingly consistent with eating well and exercising. I'm still hovering around 170, but that doesn't bother me; I'm happy with the progress I've made.

Ash has started joining me in my workouts. She wanted to start earlier, but I was concerned about her pushing herself too hard, as she has a tendency to do. She gives me a run for my money on leg day! She’s got dancer’s legs that could crush a soda can with the most infinitesimal squeeze. Her doctor recommended not starting workouts until 8-12 months after having Naomi, since childbirth rips apart the abdominal muscles and a perfectly-executed dead-lift could send her intestines uncoiling to the floor. It’s scary stuff, but it happens! I saw pictures of it on a workout article and encouraged Ash to follow doctor’s orders (it was on the internet, so I know it was real). She adhered to doctor’s orders, and I’m thankful, because I couldn’t imagine seeing her guts spread all over the living room floor. It’s been great having her by my side: my daily workouts are far more enjoyable doing it along with a partner.

This past month I focused on bulking. I didn’t lose any weight, but I’ve made significant gains. April’s gonna be all about cutting: strict eating (protein, good carbohydrates, and good fats), and I’m going to experiment with creatine to help increase lean muscle. My buddy Tyler turned me on to it: basically, all of our muscles hold creatine (we get most of our creatine from meat products), but while muscles generally hold 120g of creatine per volume, they can hold up to 160g. The more creatine you have, the quicker you’re able to build muscle using the body’s God-given mechanics. The biggest downside to creatine is dehydration, since creatine pulls water into your muscles, so I’ll need to drink like a camel. Here’s where I stand today, still at 170 pounds:




No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...