Tuesday, May 21, 2019

the year in books [X]



One of my reading goals for 2019 has been to rely on spontaneous picks from the library. It's been a reading adventure, to be sure ("Reading Adventure" is a phrase my wife wouldn't understand and would likely mock, but to each their own!). I've dabbled into authors I've heard about, as well as genres I've never considered, and I haven't regretted it. Harold Coyle's Trial by Fire is a modern war epic about a war between the United States and Mexico; Harlan Cobe's Six Years is about a lovesick professor uncovering a web of lies and deception in his pursuit of a lost love; James Abel's White Plague was a phenomenal book about a possible modern outbreak of the Spanish Flu (with a bunch of drama between the U.S. and Russia thrown in); Chris Carter's I Am Death is about the hunt for a serial killer; Clive Cussler's The Silent Sea is a thriller set in both the jungles of South America and Antarctica; and Robert Heinlein's (controversial) Starship Troopers was excellent (and nothing like the infamous movie). Of the above authors, the ones I enjoyed the most were James Abel and Clive Cussler, and I plan on reading some more of their works this year. 

For the time being, however, I'm putting my 'spontaneous library reads' on hold to satisfy a thirst for historical fiction. I've been itching to read some novels set during the Civil War, and I've put together a list of eight books that will (hopefully) satiate my thirst. Tata for now!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...