Friday, July 19, 2019

the year in books [XIV]




I've always been curious to read Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins' Left Behind series. Dispensational premillennialism isn't my cup of tea (nor is it a biblical cup of tea, but I don't have the energy to get into that), but I have a decent grasp of what they teach, how they interpret prophecy (literally; they dare not try to understand the nature of apocalyptic literature), and how they read Revelation. The series is an excellent fleshing-out of a futurist dispensational approach to Revelation and eschatology, a snapshot into the same kind of thought processes and theology encapsulated in Hal Lindsey's The Late Great Planet Earth. Some of the books were decent; one or two I even enjoyed; but others I had to slog through while gritting my teeth. It's satisfying to have them under my belt, but I would be shocked if I ever recommended them (I try not to promote false teaching). Approached as apocalyptic sci-fi with some religious undertones, the Left Behind series doesn't do too bad.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...