Wednesday, July 29, 2020

the year in books [XIV]



The next gauntlet in my 2020 Reading Queue is Napoleonic Era fiction. Technically James Haley's The Shores of Tripoli isn't Napoleonic, as it takes place in 1801. It covers the U.S.A.'s war against the Barbary States in the Mediterranean, which happened in tandem with the French Revolutionary Wars. My journey through Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin Series continued with the novels The Reverse of the Medal, The Letter of Marque, and The Thirteen Gun Salute. The first two were excellent, but I struggled through The Thirteen Gun Salute (alas, many Aubrey-Maturin fanatics have trudged through it as well). My journey through Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe Series included Sharpe's Siege and Sharpe's Revenge, both of which were excellent. I'm over 2/3 done with the Aubrey-Maturin Series and have only two novels left in the Sharpe Series. It will truly be a sad day when I wrap up these books. I've been working through them since 2018; it will be the end of an era! 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...