Saturday, August 29, 2020

the year in books [XVII]


This next round of fiction books includes some pretty good ones. Stephen King's Cujo was phenomenal; I hadn't read it since high school, and despite it being over four hundred pages, I finished it in just a few days. Lee Child's Night School is the second novel in the Jack Reacher series; it wasn't as good as the first, but most readers have found it to be a bit of a drudge (at least in comparison to the other books of the series). Despite being unimpressed with Night School, I'm going to keep plowing through the series. J. Todd Scott's The Far Empty was an interesting take on a modern western, but I struggled with his writing style. Eh, it happens. Kassandra Montag's After the Flood had an interesting premise, and it has plenty of great scenes and excellent quotes that could plaster a Goodreads account, but at the end of the day it had an anticlimactic ending and came across as one of those 'I am woman, hear me roar!' books. Geraldine Brooks' The Secret Chord was a thrilling treatment of the life of King David, even if the author bought into the ridiculous idea of David being in a homosexual relationship with Jonathan. My least favorite of these books was Clive Cussler's Skeleton Coast; the story just dragged on and on and didn't seem up to par with the other books of the Oregon Series I've read so far. Nevertheless, onward and upward!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...