Monday, September 27, 2021

the reformation [2/2]



The last time I posted about my physical 'reformation,' I was at 173# and shooting for 145# by the end of December. Shortly after that post, covid-19 ran rampant through my family. The girls weathered it just fine - the worst Naomi and Maggie had was a slight fever one day and some sniffles - but Ash and I were a different story. We didn't have any of the 'fearful' covid-19 symptoms, with difficulty breathing or anything like that, but we were physically wiped out for about two weeks. Compounding the physical exhaustion was a mental fatigue or brain fog unlike anything I've ever experienced. Those Chinese sure make weird sicknesses! 

\All this to say, perhaps the biggest aftereffect of covid-19 was that for months afterwards, I was plagued with muscular exhaustion. My workouts were reduced to about a third of what they were before the sickness, and as a result I began losing muscle and putting on weight. By mid-summer I was back up to 180#. Thankfully over the past six weeks, I've been regaining my strength and endurance. It's been an uphill battle, but - barring any unforeseen circumstances - it seems I'm out of the woods. I've begun setting new personal records, am enjoying hour-long grueling workouts once more, and am generally feeling fit, healthy, and energetic. I've added a trap bar to my workout regimen, so now I'm not just confined to dumbbells, bodyweight exercises, and handle-bands. When you work out from home and don't have the time to physically go to a gym, you've gotta slowly accumulate your equipment. My ambition over the next few years is to get a rowing machine and a bench. 

My original goal of 145# by Christmas just isn't realistic anymore, given the covid-19 sickness and the fallout. I've scrapped that goal and replaced it with a realistic goal of 160# (though I wouldn't mind hitting 156# and being no longer 'overweight'). I'm keeping my daily caloric intake around 1600 calories; it's a very slight caloric deficit, but I don't want to go too low because I'm working on building muscle at the same time. I'm not a big fan of the binging and cutting cycles, so I'm embracing the 'slow and steady wins the race' technique. And since I won't be cutting this autumn or winter, I'll have enough of a caloric window to enjoy some of my favorite of Ashley's homemade meals: meatloaf, potato soup, homemade bread, pork chops and apples, and on and on. Autumn and winter is definitely when she pulls no punches in treating me to delicious homecooked meals. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...