Monday, November 28, 2022

the year in books [IX]



The latest collection in my 2022 Reading Queue has some solid reads and some not-so-solid reads. Clive Cussler's Pacific Vorftex! is the first book in his Dirk Pitt series (I want to say it's Dirk Pitt, but it may be another series, and I'm too lazy to check); it was a great read, unlike his Corsair, which was a book in his ongoing Oregon Series. The Oregon Series tends to focus more on militaristic themes whereas his other series are more focused on undersea adventures; I definitely prefer the latter. Bobby Akart's Geostorm: The Shift held promise, but his writing style was jerky; I hate jerky writing, as it demolishes the 'rhythm' of reading. Gerard Brittle's The Demonologist was an interesting recap of Ed and Lorraine Warren's career fighting demons (popularized in several fictional novels and movies, such as The Amityville Horror). The Mark and Desecration are two books in Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins' old-timey Left Behind Series; I totally disagree with their premillennial and rapture theology, and the writing is pretty crappy at times, but it's interesting nonetheless. Those books are good reads when I'm multitasking. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...