Tuesday, November 29, 2022

the year in books [X]



If this batch of books were thrown in a box, you'd grab a Sharpie and label it westerns. Johnstone's The First Mountain Man and Johnston's Carry the Wind take place in the Rocky Mountains during the beaver frenzy, around the 1830s. McMurtry's The Last Kind Words Saloon and Estleman's White Desert are set fifty years later in the post-Civil War Wild Wild West. Johnson's Another Man's Moccasins and Box's Savage Run bring us to the present time, a modern West that is no less wild for it. My least favorite book in this batch was McMurtry's The Last Kind Words Saloon, which surprises me, as I've become a fan of his work (I read through his Benderberry Quartet earlier this year and loved it). My favorite would be Johnson's latest installment in his Longmire Series. Another surprise in this batch was the fact that I didn't enjoy Johnston's Carry the Wind as much as I did his earlier works. That was a big bummer for a 600-page book.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...