Tuesday, April 17, 2012

the 42nd week

tentative dust jacket cover for my zombie story.
it looks like I got face-fucked by a bird's talons.
Monday. I woke early and finally got a much-needed haircut in Hyde Park, and I went to The Anchor and toyed around with my zombie serial novel The Procyon Strain. I didn't go in to work till 2:00, so I spent the early afternoon lounging around and hanging out with Blake, Andy and Ams. I closed with Emily, and afterwards I tagged along with Amos and his dad to the Red Green One Man Show at the Taft Theater. I used to watch the show when I was in high school, crowded around the Williams' big-screen with Pat D., Chris and Lee. I don't think Amos enjoyed it very much, but I enjoyed it for its nostalgic elements (you know how I am). Also, Red Green defined me (and Amos) quite well: success is defined by having a place you can go with a roof on it and a place you go to do stuff and get paid. Nailed it.

Tuesday. I went to The Anchor before another solid close with Emily. Nothing exciting happened this evening: a chill night with the housemates, playing video games and watching "Frisky Dingo." Ams ordered Chinese and I went on a frosty run to Wendy's.

Wednesday. The Anchor was unfortunately crowded (and surprisingly so), but my little booth in the corner was still available. Ha. My booth. It's gotten pretty ridiculous. How was the evening spent following closing shop with Amos? Other than fighting off the frigid cold and splicing wind, I did some writing and C. Isaac came over for a hot minute. His visit was the highlight, everything else dwindling in significance. I'm literally straining my brain in the quest for something we-- YES! Josh came over, and we researched involuntary manslaughter just in case one of us hit a kid. Our neck of the woods can get pretty hairy at times, especially with summer on the doorstep.

Thursday. Ana couldn't come in this morning, so I went in early to cover her shift. After work Blake and I went to C.C.U. and collected tree leaves to identify the trees around us. This was an impromptu adventure, yielding a variety of maples, some oaks, and a lonely blue ash. We went by the Hilltop to get drinks, and I caught up with some people I'd known in college (going on three years now, *gulp*). I told Blake, "It's so weird that so many people I know live not an eighth of a mile away from me, and I'm never over here." Claypole Avenue stops after our driveway. We joined Ams and Andy for dinner at The Anchor, and Andy played C.C.R. and Damian Jurado on the jukebox; it's a new tradition.

Friday the 13th (2 of 3*). I had to jet up past 275 to pick up some product. The place was located in a HUGE warehouse stocked with non-perishable food items and encircled by a towering razor-wire fence. Yes, bookmarking that on my GPS for the impending zombie apocalypse. Blake had his wisdom teeth taken out, and so he was pretty out of it. I spent most of the evening working on my zombie story.

Saturday. Andy, Amos and I got Dusmesh for lunch, and Andy went to work at Carew and Amos and I made not one but two trips to Clifton. Amos made this Classic President proud. We went to The Anchor later in the evening, drinking coffee and eating dinner. I wrote a good twenty pages. When we got back, C. Isaac and Josh A. were over, and we smoked hookah in the living room. The evening's twilight is best encapsulated in a phrase repeated not once but twice by two people to me throughout the day: "We tell no one of this." It sounds so mischievous, but I assure you: it's more classic than anything, something you'd expect at this house. 

The Titanic Centennial. The R.M.S. Titanic sank 100 years ago in 1912. Thus: the centennial. But I'm sure you got that. I slept in till 10:00 and woke to a warm, sunny day. I did laundry, ran to Carew for some coffee, and hit up Kroger for some groceries: eggs, bread, cereal and milk. I don't know why I always buy breakfast foods, but it's a shared trait in this house. When everyone rolled out, Andy made pancakes and I made eggs and toast, and Amos brewed us up some old Mexican chiapis. Even with its age, you could detect the chocolaty, graham-cracker taste. I'd forgotten how much I loved it. The afternoon was pretty low-key: I cleaned my room, ran some errands, and did some scripting for my zombie story. I went to The Anchor for coffee and to do some writing (only three more chapters, an epilogue, and then I'm done with the first book), and I was exhausted when I got home: creative writing can be quite draining. I colored a picture of a Styracosaurus and worked out to the tunes of Led Zeppelin. Andy, Amos and I grabbed Chipotle for dinner, and that was an adventure all on its own (and all because they ran out of chicken, thanks to one person ordering like 15 chicken burritos). People were not happy. Amos and I climbed onto our roof and smoked cigarettes and watched the sunset. 

* The first Friday the 13th was in April, and the second will be in July. Also: Jesse and Mandy closed on their house on the 13th of January, and Jared and Ashley did it on the 13th of April. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...