Monday, October 21, 2013

the 45th week

Columbus Day. Brittany and I opened, a slow day what with the holiday and all. I went to The Anchor after work to read some Cruciformity, and I grabbed Subway for dinner and spent the evening hanging out with Corey and Mandy. Ams came over, too.

Tuesday. Chloe and I opened, and after work I dog-sat Gigi and Rocco for Brandy, who had a funeral in Berea. I played with the dogs, took them for a walk, and did some reading on the screened-in porch. I headed over to Amos' once my "shift" was over. Corey, Dave, and Ams headed to the Loth House as well. 

Wednesday. I spent the morning at The Anchor listening to Yale lectures on the American Revolution, and W.O.J. found me fishing at a pond. I caught three catfish and a bluegill! I craved a deep-fried catfish fillet all evening but (wisely) chose not to satisfy said crave. Ams came over later in the evening and we watched Youtube videos about the Battle of Shiloh, and Ams listed off at least twelve wars involved in America's history (I gave her the French & Indian War, for I didn't specify the United States rather than the continent named after Amerigo Vespucci). She won... nothing. But that was her fault for not asking for a prize.

Thursday. The morning found me out at Gorman Heritage Farms with W.O.J. Rains scoured the fields, ice-cold and goblet-sized raindrops, and we loaded into a golf cart to escape into the main building, but not before launching pumpkins across the fields from a GE-built pumpkin launcher. One of the boys didn't like the rain, but as soon as he launched his pumpkin, he laughed so hard he almost choked. It brings me joy, it really does. I went to The Anchor after work to finish up a several-month study of Galatians 5 (note that it was supposed to be a two-week study, so don't think I was being extra studious). After The Anchor I rounded out my evening at the Loth House, playing NBA Jam with John and Amos.

Friday. Eric and I opened; we were slammed, and I made $60 in tips. After work I checked out a pretty good-looking studio in Covington; I'm going to apply for it on Monday. Since I was in Covington I went to The Anchor (just a few minutes from the studio; what a perk!) and listened to some more lectures on the American Revolution (Itunes University is the best thing to ever happen to Apple). Mandy was home when I returned to the apartment, and she dyed her hair an amazing dark red. We sat in her bed-fort and talked about girls and boys. Ams came over and took an exam while Mandy and I worked on our budgets. Dylan called from a bar in Washington, D.C., and we talked and laughed. I asked who he was at the bar with. "No one," he said. I asked if he was meeting someone; he said he wasn't: "I'm literally just sitting here drinking because the government shut down and my hiring has been put 'on hold.'" I love him. Luckily the government came "back on" yesterday (a deal being struck Wednesday), so hopefully he'll get in the swing of things. However, since Wednesday's deal didn't really deal with any of the issues, and since the G.O.P. are being dicks, he may be back at the bar alone sometime early next year. 

Saturday. I went to The Anchor when I woke up, and then met up with a client before hanging with Ams and Mandy. I went back to The Anchor, and someone was shooting up heroin in the bathroom again. It's a good thing I'm comfortable with Covington, since I'm going to try to move there. My evening was spent at the Loth House with the Usual Crew. Ams, Andy, and Frank were there, too. John roasted hot dogs and Brandy served root beer. 

Sunday. I went to The Anchor before U.C.C., and after a trip to Fusian with Ams and a nap, I went back to The Anchor to do some writing. I headed up to the Loth House, and we watched football and Ams came over. She ordered pizza and got me one, since she's awesome like that and knows I'm being super frugal. The Walking Dead came on at nine: awesome, as always. I headed back home and lit my oil lanterns and read some scripture before bed.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...