Saturday, October 12, 2013

the turning of a page

(one hopes!)

The past few months of job-searching were fruitless, but I’ve finally landed another job, and I couldn’t be happier about it. I’ll be working with a Christian nonprofit that helps developmentally disabled men and women live fuller, happier, more productive lives. My time will be spent befriending these individuals, building relationships with them, and assisting them in life however they need it. The hours don’t allow me to quit Tazza Mia, but I’m not even upset about that; as I told Eric, “I’m always talking about how I want to get out of here, but the moment it becomes even a remote possibility, I’m reminded of all the reasons I love this place in the first place.” The reasons, of course, revolve around the people I work with: my coworkers and employees are AMAZING, and I genuinely enjoy each and every day I get to work with them.


In the next month or so I’ll be abandoning the apartment on Park Avenue and moving into my own place. The extra hours will help me pay what I’m assuming will be larger bills, and hopefully I’ll have enough to start setting aside. Truth be told, I don’t want to be in Cincinnati forever. I’ve been toying with different ideas of where I could move, and always the focus is on the countryside. I’m not a city-dweller, that’s for sure: I love the openness of the country, dark and shadowy woods, dirt lanes and that sickly sweet country scent. I love the quiet of the wind and the insects in the trees; sirens, gunshots, and constant noise pollution aren’t quite my thing. Cincinnati is a wonderful city, and for so many reasons, but I’ve been here for eight or more years, and I’m ready for a change of scenery. (Noting, of course, that if I were to somehow find myself “trapped” in Cincinnati, it wouldn’t be the worst kind of imprisonment) Like I said, I don’t have any specific locations in mind for a “future move,” but Wisconsin is looking pretty appetizing at the moment. There’s more to that comment, but I’m respectfully playing this one close to my chest. 

I would like to write more, but I must be heading off to Clifton.
It's time for Dusmesh with Amos and (possibly) Andy.
Huzzah!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...