Monday, October 14, 2013

the 44th week

Monday. I tossed and turned all night and perked up with coffee at The Anchor before getting my CPR and First Aid certification at Walk of Joy. Corey and I hung out most of the afternoon, and I spent the evening at the Loth House playing Mario-Kart with John & Brandy, Frank & Rebecca, and of course Amos. Mandy K. called and we got to talk for an hour. My roommate Mandy can always tell when I'm talking to her; there's an excitement in my voice and a glow on my face.

Tuesday. I ran some errands before closing shop with Tori. My night was uneventful: catching up on Revolution "Season Two". Amos and I are going to start watching the show on Wednesdays at his place. I took a walk to U.D.F., about the same distance from Revere's house to Old North Church. Dork moment #1 this week.

Wednesday. Eric and I opened. We have a new hire, Miranda, who just returned to the States from a stint in France. She's awesome, because she wears a pair of World War Two French cartridge boxes on her belt as a purse. I told her about my B-24 Liberator navigator's bag that I use to carry around my books and journals, and how it was filled with all sorts of goodies: a compass, a blood-stained map of the Philippines (it was made of cloth so it could be used as a tourniquet), and best of all a daily journal kept my the navigator; he wrote about how they shot Zekes out of the sky and how flak almost tore the plane apart at its seams and how the ball-turret gunner caught flak through the windscreen and they had to scrape his body off the inside of the turret. I worked my second job until 6:30, and then Ams and I met up at Amos' house to watch the new episode of Revolution, followed by SVU

Thursday. I worked until 1:30 with Walk of Joy, and when Mandy got home from work, I put on my cowboy boots and a jacket and we walked down the railroad tracks by the apartment and found a parked train over the interstate. We climbed on top of it via the steel ladders and hopped car-to-car taking pictures. We're fiends for photography, even if we use our IPhones to do it. We headed home and come dusk we found Corey and Andy on the front porch. Andy went down to the Gorge, but it was closed because of the government shutdown. So he parked on the road and went hiking alone. No one was there to stop him. It was his best experience at the Gorge. Dylan called me drunk from D.C. and we had some great talks about life and faith and everything in between. We both laughed like fools; I always laugh until it hurts with him. He's like the brother I never had (he can't say that, since, well, he has Tyler).

Friday. Eric, Miranda and I opened, and after a nap back home I spent my afternoon writing at The Anchor. Ams and Andy came over, and Mandy ferried us to the new Fusian in Hyde Park. I chose a crab mix roll stuffed with extra vegetables. We spent the evening hanging out, and I took a walk to UDF for a Snicker's bar: I freeze 'em and then eat 'em!

Saturday. I slept AWFUL last night, and I think I know why. I was accosted by weird dreams and passed in-and-out of sleep. One such dream involved me playing Call of Duty (like we do at the Loth House sometimes), except I was actually there in the game. I pulled off slick moves, but it was always survival by the skin of my teeth (pretty much exactly like Call of Duty). I spent my morning drinking coffee and writing before heading to the Loth House to pick up Amos and meet Andy at Dusmesh. Amos and I hung out after the buffet. John and Brandy bought a house in Spring Grove, and they'll be moving there sometime next month. Around 5:00 I met up with Jobst at The Anchor. It was good catching up. Memorable, as always. Ams came over, and we listened to music, and she updated me on Josh drama: he's a dick, end of story. I spent the rest of my evening reading and playing Birds of Steel "up close" (I pull the computer chair around in front of the widescreen TV so that it fills my peripheral and it feels like I'm really there). And that's Dork moment #2 this week.

Sunday. I spent my morning at The Anchor with scripture and prayer. Much of my afternoon consisted of searching the interwebs for a place to live come December (or even November). I'm trying to avoid the cheapest places stuck in the Ghetto. I revisited The Anchor and picked up Subway for dinner, and I talked to the Wisconsinite for about two hours, it was pretty great. Ams, Blake and I met up at the Loth House for the Season 4 premier of The Walking Dead. I'm so glad it's back. I don't care what people think, it'll always be my all-time favorite TV show. Dork moment #3.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...