Thursday, September 26, 2019

the year in books [XIX]



Every year I try to read a few Star Wars books. Maybe I'm trying to reclaim the joys of my youth, but I think I just enjoy the Star Wars universe. Over the next few years I'm trying to read through what have become known as the Star Wars Legends. The first six movies ended with the destruction of the second Death Star and the deaths of Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine. For all we knew, that was the end of the Star Wars Saga. It was up to others to continue it, and this was done through comics and books. The comics don't hold any interest for me, but the books are a different story. Over a hundred books have been written to continue the saga, but these were dubbed 'Legends' after Star Wars went to Disney and got a reboot. The new movies took the Star Wars story in a wildly different direction, and I'm one of the old-school folks who prefers the Legends to the new stuff. These are the first six books of the Star Wars Legends (in chronological order rather than order of publication). The Truce at Bakura takes place the morning after Episode Six ends, but it's a weak read and I had a hard time getting through it. Michael Stackpole's X-Wing Series is phenomenal; the first four books of the series cover the formation of Rogue Squadron, the liberation of Coruscant from the fledgling Empire, and the Bacta War. The fifth book in the series, by Aaron Allston, wasn't as good as Stackpole's book, but it was a decent read nonetheless. 

And now, just because, here are some pieces of Star Wars artwork:







No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...