Wednesday, September 25, 2019

the year in books [XVIII]



I'm going to be honest:
I wasn't super impressed with these books.

I don't regret reading them. They're a part of my ongoing thread through the Bernard Cornwell and Patrick O'Brian novels set during the Napoleonic Wars, and thus worth reading. All the same, there were some definite highlights. Sharpe's Enemy has my favorite epic battle scene in all the series, a page-turner devoured without thought of food or sup; and though Sharpe's Honour was mostly a bore with a few moments of fast-paced drama, Sharpe's Regiment was an excellent read with aperfect ending. Patrick O'Brian's The Ionian Mission and Treason's Harbour were slow reads, but the exotic locations of the Middle East and the Red Sea made it worth the read. The Far Side of the World was my favorite of his three books (and it's far better than the Russell Crowe movie, as excellent as it may be). 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...