Saturday, July 05, 2008

from the church office

Forest Lake has the largest Independence Day parade in the State of Minnesota. Nearly 50,000 people show up to watch the parades: a parade down Broadway Avenue (right past the church) and another on the lake. At night, the boats are lit up and they do a parade around the shoreline. I hate crowds, and I didn’t have money I wanted to spend on all the attractions, so I stayed at my place on the 4th of July. Not that it was a bad decision: Paul grilled out some delicious steaks, and he fixed some margaritas that tasted absolutely fantastic. 

My sermon for tomorrow is good and ready. It’s entitled “The Quest for Happiness” and is about finding hope amidst suffering in our lives. The sermon is topical, but it is based off Romans 8.17-39. Bible Study this week is over Romans 8.17-39, so I’m hoping that the sermon will stir up some questions and conversations for Wednesday night. This upcoming week should be relatively easy. Larry is back in town, so that will be good. All I need to do is write two research papers for my internship: My Philosophy of Ministry and Renovation of Youth Ministry. The first will be easy, the second one not so much. But I have all week to do it. 

Dwellers of the Night is under some renovation. I’ve removed it from Amazon.com for the sole purpose of making the trilogy into a solid book. As it stands, I have 272 pages done thus far, and I am at a pivotal chapter—“The Legions of Dagon”—that introduces many more main characters who will be influential throughout the rest of the book. The post-apocalyptic novel becomes quite docile for a few chapters, focusing on the stories of the main characters before the incident that is the background for the novel. I am eager to do this, because I want the focus of the book to be on the characters rather than on the action.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...