Wednesday, October 29, 2008

a difficult night

Life has been a roller-coaster. One of my good friends was sexually assaulted over the weekend, and she called me sobbing Sunday night. I rushed over to her house and sat with her for a couple hours. On Monday we went to the police station, filed a report, and then went to the U.C. Hospital in Clifton. The emergency room was packed with people, with a 6-8 hour wait, but she got preferential treatment. Obviously. It took a couple of hours for them to examine her and make sure everything was okay. I sat outside and observed. Lots of people fighting, lots of crying, lots of insanity. When she was done, we sat in the car for a while and talked. I haven’t really seen her since then. She is starting counseling, which is excellent. She’s still traumatized, obviously, and the police were supposed to call her yesterday, but they never did—for that, I’m pretty upset. She is surrounded by friends, but hesitant to trust anyone (for obvious reasons). Her parents don’t even know, aren’t required to, so they think everything is all right. Please keep her in your prayers; pray that God will shower her with comfort, peace, security; pray that God will bring swift judgment into the situation; pray that this horrible event will draw her closer to God and that she will continue to rely on Him more and more. When these times strike, difficulties in all their assorted colors and flavors, then the human creature is poised with two different routes when it comes to God: either a deeper, richer walk with Him; or a bitterness and coldness of the heart. I have experienced both, have turned both ways at the fork in the road. Pray that she takes the former.

Other than that, the semester is halfway over.
I have made lots of really good friends, and I am content with being single.
I have several options available to me following graduation.

Several of us went to a school event in northern Kentucky. Corn-hole, hayrides, a bonfire, fishing, square dancing, grilled meats. It was a pretty good time, despite the cold and the sickness I’ve accumulated due to being too close to a certain girl (only a friend, I must add; and there is nothing more that I want with her; but it was cold and she was skinny and needed some warmth, so I sat close to her, and voila! I have a cold). I have two papers to write tonight. Three to write tomorrow. And I’m juggling between different Halloween opportunities, various parties and events of which I can partake.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...