Monday, October 06, 2008

randomz as life goes on

I walked off-campus for a bit this evening, and I ran into a man who lives in the condominiums just outside the school. He was smoking a Black-&-Mild, and he said “Hello”, and I said, “Hello” back. He asked where I was from, and I told him that I went to the campus by his house. He thought that was fantastic, was considering going for a Master’s in Public Speaking there. We sat out by the apartments for half an hour and talked about school, education, and Christianity. He gave me his phone number and invited me over to his place sometime for a beer. Don’t worry, he didn’t seem creepy. I am going to take him up on his offer sometime next week. Up on the “Holy Hill” of C.C.U., sometimes we can get the impression that our campus is a nest of holiness amidst a city of hedonism and sin. It’s refreshing to know that there are followers of Christ outside the realm of Cincinnati academia.

Kyle, Jessie and I are talking about planting a church in Kyle’s basement. Not anytime soon, probably not until next semester. Kyle and I have been talking about doing it for a LONG time, but we never really got around to discussing it as a reality. I am graduating in May, and so the possible reality of planting a church has hit us like a sledgehammer. Now is the time for action! As to plans following graduation, I am considering pursuing a Master’s in either Church History or New Testament Studies. We’ll just have to see. Financial burdens are a big deal right now, especially with the economy threatening to plunge into the depths.

The presidential election is less than a month away. The tension at the school can sometimes be cut with a dull knife. Several of our professors and students are supporters of Obama (my Preaching professor’s phone went off in class today, and a tune that rang “Obama” over-and-over played; absolutely hilarious), and several of our professors and students are staunch supporters of McCain. I’m not feeling too great about either one of them, but then again, I’m not big into politics. Some say that’s a strength, others say that it’s a weakness. Who knows?

Karen and I talked for a bit today. I am pretty much over her. God has really helped me out on this one. I told her, “There’s a girl I like, a girl that I’ve been hanging out with. I’m not dating her, and I don’t plan on even asking her out on a date for a long time. But I just want you to know that it’s a possibility for the future.” She is having a much more difficult time moving on. Maybe I shouldn’t have told her about this yet-to-be-named girl, but I know that she would rather know than not. Speaking of relationships, now two of my ex-girlfriends are engaged. I’m happy for both of them, they’re both going to be happy. But in my dark hours, they rise like shadowy symbols of my own shattered hopes and fruitless dreams. “Shattered so far… But not forever hopeless.” My dream of being a good husband and a good father burn like magma through my veins, and I refuse to give in to resignation. One day my dream will come true. God is shaping me into the person I need to be in order to experience my dream to the fullest. Of this I am confident (even though others would disagree).

I know I haven’t posted in a week (or at least a few days), so this has been a recap of my life right now. Life has been going decently well. I’ve had cycles, sure, but nothing debilitating. This weekend was pretty good: a bunch of friends and I went to a Thai restaurant (my friend Sarah is from Thailand, and she actually cried because the food was so authentic that it reminded her of home), and we went to Newport on the Levee and sat out at the Highlands Coffee Shop for a few hours Saturday night. It’s been great getting to know new people. Fall Break begins on Thursday, so I expect that I will be writing a handful of new xanga entries (since I will be bored at home, no doubt!).

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...