Tuesday, September 30, 2008

to know & be known

We finally received rain last night, ending a one-month period of drought. The best part, though, was that I got to fall asleep listening to thunder rolling over the city. 

I had a strange dream last night. I’m not going to write it down, but suffice it to say that it would make an awesome story if fleshed-out. I’m thinking a story around 120 pages. A nice, easy read. And interesting, too! 

I told my friend Katie last night, “I don’t have many friends. But those friends I do have, they are friendships that are deep and intimate.” There are lots of people who have dozens of acquaintances. I’m not a fan of such relationships, honestly, and I’d much rather build great friendships with interesting people than be a part of a large group underscored by superficial relationships. Over the past couple weeks, I’ve been getting to know some people really well. Gambill. Sarah. Jessie. Deshay. To name a few. I have been spending lots of time with them, opening up and getting to know them. To know and be known is one of our greatest needs, and I believe it lies at the heart of our desire to love and be loved—loving and being loved is, ultimately, the most intimate expression of knowing and being known. That’s my philosophical moment of the week. Tune in next week.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...