Monday, September 15, 2008

the third week

Monday. I spent the day with Karen. We went to the overlook at Eden Park in Mount Adams. We ate dinner at Don Pablo's and hung out at the Beer Sellar. We went to Hot Topic in Newport on the Levee and watched the sunset from the pier, and then we saw Pineapple Express in the theater. We're not together. "Just friends." But part of me hopes that we'll end up back together, that we'll get over this hump, that she'll come to her senses and cast off a life of drugs.

Tuesday. I spent the evening at the "Michelin Community" in Walnut Hills at Ryan's apartment. Karen came with me. We were invited to a hookah party but declined. She and I went for a drive. I told her, "We're broken up, but we're still acting like a couple. This relationship has no future, and we need to acknowledge that in word and deed." 

Wednesday. Forrest, Hensel, Ryan and I hooked up the hookah and smoked out on the front porch of the Marshall House. I joined them for a dinner Emily cooked, and then we went to Ryan's apartment. I spent the evening at the Hilltop hanging out with Tim, Andy, Monica, Mandy, Rob, and Katie.

Thursday. Forrest, Benhase, Katie and I hung out during Chapel and played ping-pong. I ate lunch with Trista and then played ping-pong with Brandy Rae. James, Hensel and I went for a "Smoke Drive" after I did lots and lots of writing. 

Friday. Ams came home from Anderson University, and Karen worked my shift at the Hilltop so I could go see her. We watched The Rock and went over to Pat D.'s house to listen to music and hang out. We ate dinner at Chipotle. 

Saturday. Men came to the house and laid new flooring in the kitchen. Keith and Sarah had another big fight. She told me, "I can't wait to move out!" She came up to my place today. We hung out with Ams, Dewenter, and Chris, grilled burgers, went to Wal-Mart, and then went to see Matt, who works at The Garage.

Sunday. Sarah spent the night, and I took her back to her place at 8:30. I ran to church, and I had good conversation with Megan and Paul. Hurricane Ike has submerged half of Houston, Texas underwater. The aftershock winds are shaking the trees. Huge winds, and we're supposed to get flooding rains tomorrow. Preachers are saying Ike is a sign of Jesus' coming. "Uh-huh." The winds intensified all day, and the power was out by 3:00. A limb from the oak in our front yard smashed up my car. As I surveyed the damage, a branch fell on me, knocking me to the ground. The drive to Cincinnati was perilous: the winds kept swerving my car off the highway, and the force of the wind actually put dents in the car's frame. I met Karen at school, and we went to Knob Hill and smoked with the wind ripping through the trees. We went back to her place, the roads crammed and the power out everywhere, and we slept together. FUCK. I drove back home. Power lines are down, four people are dead in Cincinnati, roads are closed, trees have been uprooted and tossed around. "Ike is fucking relentless." It's already at Lake Michigan, huge waves hitting the shore and causing damage. Wrecks were everywhere and everything is closed. Duke Energy says, "2 Million people are without power, and we're hoping to have it fixed within the week." They're calling it the Cincinnati Emergency. It's hell out there. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...