Friday, September 26, 2008

a zombie dream, etc.

That’s enough about the KoalaBeast now, though I’m sure it will be making another appearance.

I had another zombie dream last night. My sister and I were walking through a field at night, searching for dead animals (I don’t know why, but we were). I came across the head of a horse lying in the ground, and suddenly it twisted its neck around and stared right at me. I screamed for Amanda, and she came running through the corn-stalks. Just before she reached me, several pasty-white, unclothed zombies leapt from the shadows of the corn, and they leapt all over her. I could only watch as a zombie came up behind her and bit into the back of her head, yanking out her brain. That’s when I woke up. “Why do I have these dreams?” It probably has to do with the writing of Dwellers of the Night. Since I think about it a lot, and since it’s about (at least in one sense) zombies, zombies make their way into my dreams.

Life has been going pretty well. I can’t lie about that. I’m still not with Karen, and I’m okay with that. I’ve been happier and more joyful lately, and I’ve been taking the time I spent with Karen to meet new people and spend more time with God. Karen is a wonderful, fantastic girl, but we just wouldn’t have worked out. God has given me peace about my decision, and I am confident that He will take care of me and Karen. On the note of making new friends, I’ve made three really awesome friends, and they’re all freshmen girls. I met them through my friends Kyle and Gambill, but the situations leading to the developing of these friendships is too much to tell. Jessica Myers works with me at work, and she’s pretty cool. She’s so passionate about the gospel, and she reads Henry Nouwen for fun. She loves dinosaurs, listens to the same music I listen to, and she’s pretty cool. Sarah Suepha is from Thailand, and though she’s a quiet girl, she has a fantastic sense of humor and enjoys teaching me the Thai language. She spent half her life in America and half her life in Thailand, so she knows both English and Thai really well. DeShay is from Venezuela, a missionary child. She loves working with primitive tribes in the advancement of the kingdom of God. She, too, is quiet, but when you get her talking, she’ll talk for hours without taking a breath.

These three girls have become my friends. Kyle told me, “You’re much happier this year. Last year you were a loner, your time consumed with work, school, and your girlfriend.” He added, “Girls will suck your will to live.” His point, though, was that this year I am really making an effort to make friends, to do well in school, to be responsible at work, and to change my life in ways that really matter. I still have no idea what I want to do when I get out of here (hopefully in May), and even though I have options (go into horticulture, get my Master’s in church history, move to Alaska or Australia, etc.), I’m content with not knowing what the future holds.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...