Saturday, October 28, 2006

"speaking in tongues": a conversation

Dad and I went to Borders late last night (I picked up St. Augustine's Confessions, what a great book!). On the way back, Dad asked, "Just out of curiosity, what's your view on speaking in tongues?"

He opened quite a can of worms with that one. I said, "Okay, here's what I think. When we talk about 'speaking in tongues,' we're talking about what happened at Pentecost, right? And whether or not still happens today?" Yep. "There are lots of churches that claim to speak in tongues, but the speaking in tongues that happens there is most often babbling or something of that nature. Random noises shouted out in praise to God. Nothing wrong with that, but it's much different from what took place at Pentecost and in the days of the early church. The speaking in tongues the New Testament talks about is what happens when a person is miraculously able--by the power of God--to speak in a foreign, human language he or she does not know. The person speaks the foreign language with its accents, its tone, its words and grammar. The point of it was to spread the gospel out past the Aramaic and Greek-speaking peoples into the Mediterranean world. Does this happen today? I think God can do whatever He wants, and I've heard stories of missionaries in foreign countries who speak the native language in sermons or in evangelizing, and they don't even know they're doing and have no knowledge of the language. The purpose of tongues is to glorify God by advancing the gospel message across language barriers."

"So what about speaking in tongues today where it happens in churches?"

"Well, I think this is more of a psychological thing than an ultra-spiritual one. Caught up in the joy of worshipping God, human words cannot contain the emotions, and the person begins spilling out worship in a spray of sounds and utterances. Is it a foreign language? No. It is not a language at all. Is there anything wrong with this? Absolutely not! It is a beautiful way of worshipping God. But it is much different from what happened on Pentecost and what took place when Cornelius and his household were brought into God's family. But, like I said, there's nothing wrong with it. In fact, apparently Christians in the early church used this as a method of worship. But not everyone has to utilize it, and those who do not are no more or less spiritual than those who do."

"What do you think about that being the 'tongues of angels'?"

"Some people say that this 'babbling' that is unlike any human language is the language of the angels. However, the foundation for this belief is 1 Corinthians 13.1, where Paul says, 'Even if I speak in the tongues of the angels, but do not have love, then I am nothing.' 'Speaking in the tongues of angels' is an ancient phrase used to depict something impossible. Paul isn't acknowledging the possibility of speaking in the languages of the angels. Rather, he's saying, in a way the intended audience of his letter could understand, 'Even if I do the impossible, but I don't love other people, then I am nothing.'"

So that's my view on speaking in tongues. I know a lot of people disagree with me, and that's okay. I have many great friends who speak in tongues. I don't see anything wrong with it, but I do not choose to worship God this way. Does this make me a bad Christian? No. Will speaking in tongues make me a better Christian? No. It is what it is, my friends. It is what it is.

11 comments:

agapetos said...

wow, that was really really well put! That's exactly how I see it! I believe it also says that tongues was for the unbeliever, which when coupled with your thoughts makes even more sense, its big purpose is for spreading the good news.

Mike said...

you obviously put some time into how you process all of this. to be honest, i haven't spent a whole lot of time thinking about it as i have relegated "speaking in tongues" as an occurance during the apostolic era. I should spend some time looking into the topic.

Anonymous said...

Ypps tkks no mmdkke coopwl sarr allp nioi hgefvbb jjiuijdkoo ooidsoooe oopll mtpp jhh jjs skkikd.

Sorry, I was typing in tongues.

Rochelle said...

I visited a church that Kristen and Tyler go to at Lee where people spoke tongues just as you described ... in worship and in prayer. At first it can be distracting but when you understand what they are doing ..it's no different than someone singing,raising their hands,etc I agree that it is different than what is described at Pentecost.
I've also known of churches that believe that when you are baptized and receive the Holy Spirit you will be able to speak in tongues..that's where I disagree...I don't think God gives everyone that gift. I do believe it happens in isolated circumstances so that someone is able to share their faith with another person of a different culture or language.

Dylan said...

I believe in speaking in tongues and I do. Not by my own choice, but because it is a wonderful thing to have. Lets not forget that in the last chapter of mark 16:17 JESUS SAYS, "And these signs will accompany those who BELIEVE; in my name they will cast out demons; THEY WILL SPEAK IN NEW TONGUES; they will pick up serpents with their hands...". Now that is for all believers, right? Of course it is because Jesus specifically said it was. Its straight up. I used to be skeptical until I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Now I understand that some may say that in Acts that was an occurance, but that is when the Holy Spirit came, for good. That same Holy Spirit that came in Pentacost is still here today which means tongues is still here. Paul also says "For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit." 1 Corinthians 14:2. Paul goes on to say in v 5 "Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy." I think that it is obvious that speaking in tongues is not just for back then. I think another problem people have is they put too much focus on that instead of the Holy Spirit Himself. It's not the baptism of tongues its the baptism of the Holy Spirit. There is so much more to it. How dare any of us, even me, think we can understand all of God and the things He does? I dont understand many things, but I accept that there are going to be some things that just can't be argued and just leave it to God. But obviously there are many verses that says it still happens today and it is for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget that that Mark 16.9-20 was probably added to the gospel a while after it first circulated, as most of the reliable, original manuscripts do not include it. It may have been used as an apologetic in the early days of Christianity, using Acts as a background (all of the "signs" accompanying believers occured in Acts).

The passage says that Christians will speak in new tongues. It also says that Christians will drink deadly poison and not be hurt at all. Is this the case today?

When it comes to tongues today, the question isn't, "Do they happen?" but "What kind of tongues are we speaking?" Is it the tongues of foreign peoples seen in Acts 2, or is it a method of praying without intelligible words?

Dylan said...

It doesnt matter if it was added later or whatever you said. The bible is the bible take the whole thing or leave the whole thing. Dont forget what paul also said in corinthians (i stated also). This is about no ones opinions including mine. Speaking in tongues is in the Bible and it still happens today. We may not understand it but we will never understand the God of the universe. All in the end does it really make a difference? If you do great, if you dont then thats your choice. As long as we are preaching the kingdom of God and saving the lost, and loving God with everything we are thats all that matters. Thats why I dont like posts like these because it takes the focus of the more important things we should be talking about.

Adam said...

I used to be a cessationist - but now I'm somewhere in the middle.

I don't believe in another baptism besides water baptism - after all, it does say "one baptism" right? And I don't see Jesus getting baptized twice - one with water, one in the Spirit.

I think tongues is still a spiritual gift today, but I don't like when people think they are more spiritual than someone else because they've been given the gift of tongues. Or when people say that if you don't have the gift of tongues, you're not a true Christian.

darker than silence said...

"Adam! How can you not be a cessationist??? To be anything else is heresy!!! If you're not a cessationist, then you are not a real Christian."

Such are some of the words of the die-hard, right-wing Church of Christ students at my beloved school :)

P.S. I love my school to death. That doesn't mean I agree with every spat of doctrine they teach (i.e. eternal torment in hell, cessationism, the millenium)...

Anonymous said...

Before Jesus came, water baptism was great but then John the baptist said:
I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: HE SHALL BAPTIZE YOU WITH THE HOLY GHOST, and with fire. Matthew 3:11
Jesus also tells his disciples that they will be baptized in the holy spirit in Acts 1:5.
Also,"For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit" (I Corinthians 12:13).
This was paul talking:
His main point?
All believers share the reality of being baptized by the Spirit.

What does it do?
It makes us part of the body of Christ, the Church.

The Apostle Paul writes, "He who speaks in tongues edifies himself...I would like every one of you to speak in tongues" (1 Corinthians 14:4,5).

Many people inaccurately define speaking in tongues as "speaking gibberish" or "talking nonsense." The truth is, speaking in tongues is the most intelligent, perfect language in the universe. It is God's language.(Tom Brown ministries)
Jesus says that those who believe in Him will "speak in new tongues" (Mark 16:17).

Peter Vandever said...

How can one say they are a cessionist when that is based on man's opinion of biblical text and not CLEARLY stated in the sacred text? That is dangerous ground to build your theology upon.

Do I believe that tongues is the intial physical evidence of the baptism of the Holy Spirit? Yes I do! Do I believe it is the evidence of the fullness of the Holy Spirit moving through your life? I dont! That would be the raising of the physical dead. Is tongues integral to the baptism of the Holy Spirit? Indeed it is.

I would also say that we need to fussing about tongues or no tongues and get off our butts and reach this hell bound world that needs Jesus to save, deliver and heal them!

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...