Monday, October 02, 2006

For the next twelve weeks, I am teaching a series on the gospel. The hope of my teaching is to expose the students to the gospel in several different ways. For example, yesterday we talked about the "Dream of God," and next week we will be talking about "The Story of God." Each of these lessons looks at the gospel from a different point-of-view. My hope is that the students will hear the gospel in a way they've never heard it, hopefully in a way that resonates with them and leads them to explore the salvation found in Christ. Sometimes it's hard to teach, for I feel like Elijah: preaching the Message, but being ignored. Preaching the Message, but being hit with rebellion. Preaching the Message, and watching it pass over them as they bathe in apathy. It's really hard, especially when my greatest friends from high school have abandoned God for the "pleasures of the world": sex, drugs, alcohol, etc.
    This week should be good: classes tomorrow till noon, a short shift in the coffee shop Wednesday, then fall break begins! I hope to spend fall break studying the creation accounts in the Bible; I find them absolutely fascinating. Oh, and hanging out with friends and family... and maybe even meeting my girlfriend's family.
      Julie and I ate lunch together, went to Steve & Berry's for some new fall clothes, then hung out in the coffee shop till about 9:30. She said, "I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I want to be your girlfriend." Terrific news! She is such a wonderful girl, I am so happy that we're together. I rushed into things with Sonja, and I felt God saying, "This isn't where I want you to be." I feel like God is smiling upon my relationship with Julie. It's amazing to think how a simple four weeks have changed everything. Four weeks ago this Wednesday, Caleb worked a supervisor shift in the coffee shop and I visited him. A cute girl walked in, and Caleb read her name on the computer when he rang her through. He came back and sat with me, telling me, "Her name is Julie." And then, through a random twist-and-turn of events, I got to know her and realized her outer beauty does not compare to her inner beauty. She's the Proverbs 31 gal. So right now I am a very happy man, thanking God minute-by-minute for this marvelous girl whom I do not deserve. My hope and prayer is that I treat her right as long as we are together.

      3 comments:

      Anonymous said...

      What does Brian and your other friends think of your new girl? How are you feeling? Is the medicine working?

      darker than silence said...

      Oh, everyone likes her. Monica almost cried when she heard the news, that Julie and I are boyfriend and girlfriend. I'm pretty sure the family likes her, and Ams says she's better than Sonja (I agree whole-heartedly).

      I'm feeling pretty good, the medicine is working pretty well.

      Anonymous said...

      Anthony,
      Your efforts with teens are so important. My wife and I appreciate the time, prayer and thought you are putting into preparing for and teaching this class.
      Thanks,
      Roger

      where we're headed

      Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...