Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Have you ever sang that song in church called "His Banner Over Me"? It goes something like this:

He brought me to His banqueting table
And His banner over me is love.
I am my beloved's and He is mine
And His banner over me is love.

I've never personally sung this song in church, and I am quite thankful! Here's why: this song finds its origin in an obscure verse in an obscure book of the Bible called "The Song of Songs" or "The Song of Solomon." You can read the verse in chapter two, verses four and 16. The Song of Songs is a very erotic book of the Bible; in the olden days, Rabbis would not allow boys under thirteen to even read the text because of its sensual nature. The Song depicts several stories of a couple's romance, the romance often culminating in sex. I believe the author of this book is one of Solomon's many wives, one whom he actually loved; I believe she wrote this to him and it found itself a treasured work.

So, with all that said, the question arises: "What, exactly, are we singing to God when we sing this song?"

Once again, the dangers of taking scripture out-of-context becomes apparent. "Well, the Song of Solomon is just an allegory of Christ's relationship with His people." The allegorical interpretation is a weak one, in my opinion, but let me close with the words of my good friend and co-worker Rob Hoos: "...and just for the record, I sure hope that book is not an allegory of Christ and the church, cause if it is, it is going to be really awkward in heaven."

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...