Saturday, October 14, 2006

Yesterday was one of the most enjoyable Fridays of this semester so far. First, I didn't have to work (Monk scheduled Trista my 8-11 shift instead!). Second, I got to spend time with Brian and the boys laughing our butts off late into the night. Third, I got to spend the day with Jules: we ate lunch in the cafeteria, went to the girls' and boys' soccer games, then went back to my place to eat Oreos for dinner. We sat on the chair in my room and talked for about an hour; Mom came in, exclaimed, "You guys are so cute! Let me take a picture!" so we humored her. Tomorrow I will work on my lesson for Sunday ("The Prophecy of the Gospel in the Book of Joel") and spend the day watching movies with my girlfriend before going to a bonfire party for Emily's birthday.





I suck at "desert communion" or "quiet times" or "devotionals" as some call them (I prefer John Eldredge's "Desert Communion" personally), so I decided to buy a short devotional that I can read then pray over. Lately I have been struggling with lots of guilt and shame over my sin, so today's devotional really touched me. It included a quote by J. Oswald Sanders:

Scripture is realistic in its treatment of sin, whether in the believer or unbeliever. It recognizes that sin is a continuing problem, even for the believer. He is not forever done with sin when he is converted, because he never gets beyond the reach of temptation. True, he has experienced the joy of forgiveness. He revels in the assurance that his guilt has been removed, but he's nowhere promised exemption from the lure of temptation or the possibility of sinning...

Then how is it possible for a God who hates sin and requires purity, to continue having dealings with a sin-prone believer, to say nothing of permitting a deepening intimacy? The answer is that in the multi-faceted death of His Son, provision is made for a cleaning so deep, so radical, so continuous that a believer can walk with God in unbroken communion and deepening fellowship.

I take to heart the words of St. Paul: "Forget the past and embrace the future: Christ!" (somewhere in Philippians; it's my girlfriend's favorite verse) I pray that God will let me enjoy the sweet taste of forgiveness' joy, that I may revel and bathe in the delight of Yahweh. Let me close with a simple scripture that will be my prayer day-in and day-out:

Adonai, tell me your ways. Show me how to live. Guide me in your truth, and teach me, my God, my Savior. I trust you all day long. Adonai, remember your mercy and love that you have shown since long ago. Do not remember the sins and wrong things I did when I was young. But remember to love me always because you are good, Adonai. - Psalm 25.4-7

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anthony,
It is good to always remember that God uses imperfect people to accomplish his perfect plan! My prayers are with you!
RH

agapetos said...

She's a cutie! Love those dimples!!

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...