Thursday, August 18, 2005

During Crank's Creek, Jimmy, Jeff and I were sitting in the eating area as the sun was going down beyond the mountains, and Jeff asked me, "Are you going to go become a monk on us?" I smiled and said, "I've actually thought about it several times." Sometimes I still do. I've written thoughts in journals, I've had conversations with friends, I've poured through books written by ancient and modern-day monks, monks from Germany to San Diego. Something inside me, perhaps something unnameable, makes my heart beat faster at the thought of becoming a monk. For me, everything (well, almost everything, the celibacy thing isn't that great) seems wonderful in the apple of my eye: a simple life, living by the fruit of your own hands, spending time developing friendships with other people and developing intimacy with God. A life all but void of stress and anxiety and worry, where you can begin to really feel the joy and fullment and satisfaction of Christ. Isn't it wonderful?

But I believe God has different plans for me, different desires for my life and future. He calls me to integrate these spiritual desires into my studies and eventual career as a servant of His. As I experience college, as I move throughout my life, I must figure out how to 'be a monk' in spirit and really develop my intimacy with God. How can a simple life focused on God and others, in that order, become paramount in my scholarly studies and in my career for which I prepare? How can I regularly come into the presence of the King in order to be transformed and drawn closer to Him as I study for tests, explore the anatomy of the human psyche, and drink coffee in the cafeteria? How can I be seen by others as having the spirit of a monk: a quiet and holy man whose primary love is God, following God others, and lastly himself? This is the life Christ calls us to: complete abandonment to Him, surrendering everything and following Him, trusting Him, walking His narrow Way.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the thought:)

Anonymous said...

it seems to be that God wants us to be outward focused, as Christ was. it seems that monks tend to be self focused - only care about their own relationship with God

Adam said...

When I was going to college in Southern California, I had an encounter with God that was amazing and almost made me become a monk. Seriously. I was driving around in an area that I was not familiar with at all (the area around Azusa Pacific University), and I was asking God for direction (in my life, not directions to get out of there), and I ended up on a street that dead-ended right at a monastery. It was night, and the gate was closed, so I parked my car and slept in my car that night. When I woke up, a monk was opening up the gate, so I drove in and walked around for a couple of hours. They had the Stations of the Cross etched out in stone, it was pretty neat. Over the course of a couple of years, I probably spent a month at that monastery. I slept in a guest room, I ate with the monks (sometimes in silence, sometimes with laughter), and I look back at that time as a definitive milestone in my relationship with God.

darker than silence said...

A lot of times, however, we in mainstream America may become more outward-focused than inward-focused. I don't think we should be so outward-focused that we lose touch with ourselves, as can easily happen.

However, many modern monks balance the two out well. For instance, while they have times for personal one-on-one intimacy with God and in group settings with other monks, they will sometimes hold part-time jobs so they do not lose their outward focus.

Anonymous said...

Anth,

Check your email - Uncle Bill needs your address.

Dad

Anonymous said...

Interresting blog! congratulations. Just stopped by on my journey
through blogdome :=) Got ya bookmarked for later.

If you get a chance, stop by my internet home based business blog at
http://internetmarketing-news.blogspot.com if you are interested in internet home based business. Or my newsletter page at http://internetmarketing-news.com

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a web site traffic promotion site. It pretty much covers web site traffic promotion related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

darker than silence said...

You know, these adds are really starting to annoy me...

Adam said...

Yeah, they suck big time.

Rochelle said...

I didn't realize that the monks would let you come and visit and check them out I think there needs to be balance... I can't imagine living your whole life holed up in a monastery I'm glad there are some who go out and hopefully share their faith I think they would have alot to offer in how to have a deep intimate relationship with Christ

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...