Saturday, August 13, 2005

Angie made homemade pizza at her house yesterday, then served up s'mores on a great big bonfire. Hague, Dylan, Tyler, Ashlie, Megan, Anna, Emily and I all swam, and us guys ended up in the middle of a floatie war, hitting each other with floaties, and Tyler accidentally picked one up that had dripping-wet nylon cords on it and he hit me all over the body with it; next time you see me, look at my neck. It's horrendous. I grabbed it from him and he asked, "What? Did it hurt?" So I said, "Come here." But he was already high-tailing it for the wall to climb out; I swam after him and was able to give him a taste as he climbed out. His back looks a little shot. We both laughed.

We celebrated this party, I believe, for Megan, who at C.I.Y. last week decided to be baptized. It really was an awesome moment then, and so many of us wanted to cry, hugs all around. Megan's been a vital part of our youth group, and we could see that the Enemy was ticked when he tried to turn everyone against one another; luckily, after we licked our wounds, we saw the trap and made up. Doubtless the Enemy will be at work in Megan's life as she is raised from the water, raised into the newness of life. It's not something to be scared of; it's a baptism of fire. The Roman soldier, after all his training, being marched into battle. It's really heroic.

I found this smazzy radio station on AOL where it plays sweet soundtrack music. A really good deal. Right now I'm listening to streaming Gladiator music, and while I actually have it saved on the Inspiron, there's some beauty to hear it coming through my speakers from a radio station. Dylan, you might want to check this out, I know you like this kind of music, too.

I am going to get ready, eat a last breakfast (eggs sound so good right now, but who knows?), pack up the van, and head off to college. I am taking a digital camera to take pictures of my dorm and throw up on the blog so everyone knows exactly where I am. I am nervous, but not a scared nervous; an excited nervous. Not nervous as in the moments before taking the test for a driving license or during the last walk to the electric chair; this nervous is the nervousness felt when you finally get that license and you sit down inside your brand-new car and insert the keys, an excited nervousness that will no doubt greet me when I stand on the shores of paradise with Christ at my side. And these words God tells me over and over, a whisper in my ear, banishing all fear:

"So be content with who you are, and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you, he'll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you." - 1 Peter 5:6-7

1 comment:

Dylan said...

Yeah, that was some pretty crazy stuff at CIY, but once we realized it was satan, it made us even closer...Tell me more about that AOL radio stuff...I will miss you dude...later.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...