Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The most depressing thing happened today. When I moved in on Saturday, Chris and I went to the dining hall and I found the most amazing cappucinos for free. An idea struck me, so I returned home and grabbed a coffee mug that could be taken to class. All day today I sat in class learning about conductor cells and axons and the branches of axons, I forget what they're called, thinking only of me sitting at lunch with the hot coffee. Jay Kidwell lets us off early so I rush down to the mess hall, stand in line for ten minutes, and eventually I am able to stand before the coffee machine, unscrewing my lid with a giant smile. The world is turning smoothly as I set the coffee mug under the dispenser. Nothing could be better, all my worries are drained away. The button is pressed. Were someone to be watching me, they would've seen my shoulders slump, my eyes burn, my smile depreciate into a wicked grimace. Hot water poured into my cup. How depressing! You coffee-lovers, much like me, would be weeping in such an instance. I back up, in a daze, completely stunned, and some of the hot water - why not coffee? It's a flippin coffee machine! - spills all over me. I try to recalibrate my stumble but water just goes all over. After getting some barbecued chicken, I am forced to set down the coffee mug and instead pour a glass of orange juice. Unfortunately, orange juice has never tasted worse.

3 comments:

Adam said...

That sucks. Coffee is absolutely essential to a good four years of college.

Adam said...

And surfing.

But of course that only can happen if you went to Pacific Christian College like me!

Anonymous said...

Anth,

You should hunt down the guy that manages the "mess Hall" (he is usually walking around with a tie on) and ask him for a coupon for a free coffee at the Hill Top! That is the least he could do since the coffee in the "mess hall" is not working and it gave you a piping-hot shower.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...