Tuesday, August 23, 2005

My lectio divina this morning found root in Psalm 34, and as usual, God's voice rang loud and clear. Many of the verses stuck out to me and formed a collage with a message: sometimes we can fall into the trap of seeing God as a cruel taskworker, as someone who simply demands obedience because He can, or we see God as a stoic God who is unfeeling and emotionless, whose love towards us is entirely political and because-He-has-to. But God told me in Psalm 34, "No, that's not the way it is at al!! I do require obedience, but the emotions you experience are the same I experience, and My love for you is not political, it is real and honest and true!"

God met me more than halfway, he freed me from my anxious fears. - v. 4

Look at him, give him your warmest smile, never hide your feelings from him. - v. 5

When I was desperate, I called out, and God got me out of a tight spot. - v. 6

God keeps an eye on his friends, his ears pick up every moan and groan. - v. 15

Is anyone crying for help? God is listening, ready to rescue you. - v. 17

If your heart is broken, you'll find God right there; if you're kicked in the gut, he'll help you catch your breath. - v. 18

Disciples so often get into trouble; still, God is there every time. - v. 19

He's your bodyguard, shielding every bone; not even a finger gets broken. - v. 20

And perhaps my favorite:

God pays for each slave's freedom; no one who runs to him loses out. - v. 22

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...