Monday, August 10, 2009

the lehman house [14]

such a winner
Monday. Today’s my one-month with Genna. I took Jobst to a medical clinic near Hyde Park. His appointment lasted about two hours, so I went to Starbucks in the Rookwood and sat on the patio drinking a latte and reading N.T. Wright, and I perused Joseph Beth Bookstore across the plaza. I sat in the erotica section and read a book on—you guessed it!—hauntings in Eden Park, Coney Island, and downtown Cincinnati (and even at Mother of Mercy, where both Genna and Courtney went to school). Once his appointment ended, Jobst and I got lunch and coffee at The Anchor. I took him back to his apartment and cleaned all of Lehman House and  did some writing. Come evening I felt sick, so I went to bed.

Tuesday. My throat is KILLING me. I didn’t do much today: Genna came over and we watched “Batman Begins” and episodes of “The Office.” I spent the evening watching TV with Sarah & Ams.

Wednesday. I went and visited Jessie at Aroma’s. Got a free coffee and some online time. I told her I’ve been feeling sick, gave her my symptoms. “Headaches. Ocassional nausea. Aching body. Exhaustion. Hot and cold flashes. And my throat hurts like hell.” She says it sounds like mono. Yikes. I went over to Genna’s, and we got dinner at Nick & Tom’s.

Thursday. I had a visit with Joe G. at 10:00. He says it’s either strepp or mono. “Your throat is drenched in bacteria.” He gave me some meds. Grandma, Mom and I went to China Garden for lunch. I just had ice cream ‘cause it feels good on the throat. I swam for a bit in the pool and fell asleep on a floatie. I returned to Cincinnati and around 7:00 I went over to Genna’s. She was being really mean, in a foul mood, and I almost left early.

Friday. I picked up my last check from work and spent the morning watching TV with Sarah. The brakes on her car went out, so I let her use my Prizm to run errands. I napped until she got back and then helped her clean out her old car (she bought a new one two days ago). We found two machetes in her trunk. Joe called and gave me the news from my medical tests: “Mono. And a pretty bad case.” But my immune system is better than most, so I hope to make a quick recovery.

Saturday. My throat’s 10x worse. Awesome. I slept most of the day. Genna came over, was being really mean. She cussed me out three times, said I don’t treat her right because I wanted to just lay around rather than go out on the town with her. WTF? I’m sick as a DOG. I told Ams, “I’m going to break up with her.” “Good,” she said, “’cause you should’ve done that a long time ago.”


Sunday. I came up to Dayton to spend some time with Dad. Throat feels a bit better. Dad and I had lots of good talks. Genna called and asked me if I still liked her. “No,” I said. And then she told me, and this is understandable, to go fuck myself.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...