Monday, August 31, 2009

the lehman house [17]

from Sunday night
The First Day of Fall Semester '09. Also the first day of autumn. I worked 9:30-1:00 in the Hilltop with Nate, Rob, and Rebecca L. I ate lunch with Sa-Rah, Jessie, and Deshay before class 1:30-2:45, "Church Growth & Planting." I went home and smoked a cigarette, went back to the Hilltop where I hung out with Jessie. Bullard joined us, then Brian W., and then Bullard's sister Lindsay. Alex R. is trying to squeeze in with her, and we warned her of his creepiness. Mandy H. was working in the Hilltop, and she made me an americano and a chai latte for free. I went back home, and Rachel came over with her boyfriend Keith (a much better Keith than Sarah's). Everyone went out to a hookah bar in Clifton, but I stayed home. Sa-Rah told Jessie that I look cute with my new haircut.

Tuesday. Two classes today, "Jeremiah" with Dyke and "Daniel" with Lloyd. I had dinner with Sa-Rah and then hung out with Mykaela and Brian W. at the Hilltop. Rachel and her boyfriend Keith came by the house again, and everyone but me played a drinking game. They were being loud so it was hard to sleep.

Wednesday. I worked 9:30-1:00 followed by class with Larry Travis. Sa-Rah and I went to Chipotle for lunch, discussing the political and religious and she was sad because she's been unable to talk to her Asian "boyfriend" for a while. I napped until 4:45, woken up by Jobst stopping by on his way to House Church. I made coffee and we sat on the stoop and talked. He left and Sarah returned, and I went to the Hilltop and hung out with Lorraine and Ashley M. Sarah and I ran to Kroger and by the liquor store in Western Hills to snatch tequila. Monica's in town for a wedding, is crashing at our place for a night or two. She came in around 11 PM, and we were up until 1 AM laughing and catching up.

Thursday. I woke at 9:40 and smoked a cigarette in bed. Monica headed off to Chapel with Julie. Julie doesn't affect me at all anymore. I see her every morning when I work: she and Tim come in for lunch. It's strange: nine months suicidal over a girl, and now I feel nothing when she's in the same room as me. I'm sure the same will happen with Courtney, though her wedding in October in the CCU Chapel may throw me down an emotional landslide. Who knows? All I know is that I'm DEFINITELY getting drunk on their wedding night... At 11:15 I went to school and ate in the Golden Eagle with Gambill before class with Dyke. I worked 4-7:30 with Stephanie, Sarah, and Matt S. So much laughter. I love working with Sarah. Mandy H. came over to do laundry, and once Monica rolled in, we hit up the tequila and clove cigarettes. I was drunk by the time Rob came over from class. So much laughter, though it became Defcon 1 when Mandy and Rob got into it over laundry. I played shitty songs on guitar so as not to stare. "Fuck" or a derivitive was used every five words. They left fuming, and Monica and I felt awkward before bed. 

Friday. I puked from 4-9 AM. Mandy worked my 9:30-1:00 shift so I could get more sleep. I covered her 12-3:00 and was feeling slightly better, though still pretty drunk. Nate was upset that I missed work. We had a "discussion" that was 1/2 serious and 1/2 joking about responsibility, and then I was left to work and sober up. At least I got to work with Ashley M. and Allison, who are both really cute and fun. Rob said, "Don't be shy: go for the freshmen." They're 18 and legal! After work I went home, and Dad and I went camping in Urbana. It poured rain and it was cold and we couldn't get a fire lit, so we went into the tent and played chess and I won.

Saturday. Dad and I woke around 8 AM after a night of incessant autumn storms. We went canoeing on the Mad River, ate lunch in the canoe. Back at the Lehman House, Sarah and I hung out for a bit and then I went to Aroma's for coffee and to see Jessie. She has lice and is NOT happy about it. Sarah went to Keith's and I spent the evening writing. I talked to Mandy K. before bed, but only for like ten minutes. She was at a surprise engagement party for her sister Sarah. "It's hard to be genuinely joyful and happy for her. She's only 20 and he's 28! It happened so fast. And I'm envious of what she has. I want to be in love, too." I lied in bed and knew that if God told me to do something, anything, with the promise of being with her, I would unquestionably do it. Before the call ended, she said, "It's so nice talking to you, Anthony. Please call again soon."

Sunday.  I woke at 10:30. Monica came over from the Riley's: the wedding yesterday went well. We fixed spaghetti for lunch, then sat on the front porch and talked for two hours. At 2 AM she headed back to the Riley's where Tim J. picked her up for her drive home to northern Ohio. I headed over to Gambill's house. Sa-Rah fixed Thai food and we made a fire. Lots of people were there: Sa-Rah and Gambill, of course; plus Jessie, Kugler, Deshay, Katie M., Avon, Kyle and Brian W. Good times. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...