Monday, August 24, 2009

the lehman house [16]


Monday. Genna called me last night: "I don't want to be friends." That's A-OK with me. I worked 8-11:00 in the dining hall with Rob, then got lunch from Chipotle. I napped until 4:00, finished the third season of "Arrested Development," and when Sarah got back around 5:00, we went down to the Beer Sellar on the river in Newport for beer and pizza.

Tuesday. I worked 8-11:00 yet again. I spent the afternoon at the Hilltop hanging out with Lorraine, Nate, Bullard, Brian, Sarah and David. Sa-Rah came in, and we sat and talked for two hours. I did research on the bubonic plague for a possible book entitled The Toothless Kiss of Skeletons. Dwellers of the Night is selling about five copies a day.

Wednesday. I worked 8-11:00 and went to 1/2 Price Books in Kenwood for some books on writing fiction. I went to CVS for some notebook paper, and an old woman accosted me and kissed me. She said she loved me. Oh, Price Hill! I spent the evening at the Hilltop, visiting with Lorraine, Karen R., Nate, Bullard, and Brock. Back at the house Sarah and I sat on the front porch smoking cigarettes and drinking beer.

Thursday. Another shift at the dining hall, and at 5:30 Sa-Rah, Katie M., and Kugler and I met up at Alumni, and we went to Chipotle for dinner. Kugler has it bad for Katie. I swung by the Hilltop before heading home to see Nate, Lorraine, and Julie B.

Friday. I worked 8-11:00 and hung out at the Hilltop for a bit. I caught up with Mykaela, hung out with Bullard, and laughed my ass off with Nate. I ordered a latte and drank it in preparation for a long night of writing: I was up nearly to the crack of dawn and hammered out 27 pages. Writing is exhausting but invigorating at the same time; so much energy courses through my veins that my hands literally shake. 

Saturday. Genna called me last night: "I had sex with Spencer to hurt you." I told her it didn't work, and she got pissed. I went by Tri-Health to visit Sarah and use the internet. When I got back home, Genna texted me, wanting to meet up, so I chose a public place (in case she tried to murder me): Applebee's. She had nachos and I had beer. She spouted on and on about drama in her life, was super rude to the waiter. She kept going on about her sexual escapades. I just wanted to leave: there was no desire to be around her, and just hearing about how she's spread her legs under every tree made me feel nauseas. She wants to make me jealous by talking about sex with other people, but I don't really care. She and I never slept together, and for that I'm thankful. Once I escaped her presence, I went to Vineyard Westside with Sarah, sat with Nate & Kirby and Julie B. Sarah, Ams and I went to TGIF for dinner. We ran by Aroma's to see Jessie, and her buddy Aubrey was there. I mentioned Mandy K. in passing, and she asked if I still like her. I just smiled. She said, "Oh, you do, huh?" when I went to bed, I called Mandy K., and we talked for an hour, about nothing and everything. She's home in Chicago, facing her dad's death every day, taking care of her mom through this whole thing. She is a wonderful girl. I want to marry a girl like her (or her, even!) one day.

The Last Day of Summer. I dreamt that I was at Courtney's wedding, seeing her get married, and she was so happy, and I sat in the corner and wept: all I'd wanted had been taken. I woke depressed and sat out on the back porch and smoked a cigarette to calm down. Sarah let me borrow some money so I could run to Wal-Mart and get some shampoo. Deshay's back from Venezuela, and she came back by the house to pick up the stuff she left in our garage on May 15. I spent the evening at the Hilltop and on the patio visiting good people: Gambill, Bullard, Kevin, Mykaela, Ashley M. Jobst came by wanting to do a communal smoothie; I nipped that one in the butt. I talked to Mandy K. before bed, this the 1-month anniversary of her father's death, and she was pretty torn up. She's also struggling with the fact that her younger sister is in love with a boy and soon getting married, and she wants that so desperately. Love. Marriage. A family. I want to give that to her, but I can't. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...