Tuesday, May 01, 2012

the 44th week

It was a pretty crazy week, but in the good kind of way.
The highlight: Dylan's on temporary leave from Mozambique.
Nostalgia's kicking my ass right now, but I wouldn't have it any other way.


Ams and Dylan on a stroll downtown
Monday. Another wondrous trip to The Anchor was followed by a swift and simple close with Amos. Brandy came over come nightfall, and we ordered pizza and watched episodes of "The Office" late into the night. We Skyped with Rob in Portland for a hot minute, and Ams flew back in from there late last night.

Dad's 50th. I went to The Anchor and did some writing. I didn't go in until noon, and we had three people to close down the store. It was nice albeit unnecessary for most of the shift. Emily cut her hair and dyed it brown, and she looks like my friend Jessica from afar. It kept messing with me. Amos and I both wore our Anchor Grill t-shirts, and thus we matched unknowingly. I gave Dad a call wishing him a happy birthday, and I was surprised that he didn't get breakfast lunch at White Castle; his explanation was that he has a race Saturday, and White Castle takes a solid week to pass through ya. Carly invited me to enjoy dinner and a movie with her and Alison, but I couldn't go because we had a work meeting that ran pretty late. Amos and I went to Mac's Pub in Clifton after the meeting, and then we spent the evening hanging out with Josh and Ams, and Andy got drunk off a bottle of sweet wine.

Wednesday. Amos joined me for my trip to The Anchor, and the waitresses introduced themselves since he's a regular now. Work was decent, and I spent the evening writing and playing Black Ops with Amos. I went to bed around 10:00, and furious storms with rolling thunder, slashing rains and hail moved through as I passed into sleep.

Thursday. I opened the store with Emily and we rocked it out. I got off around 1:00 and jetted up to Dayton after hanging out with Blake and an Anchor trip. I went to Tyler's apartment and finally got to talk with Dylan face-to-face after countless emails. We've been separated by an ocean, immersed in worlds on two different continents, and he flew into town yesterday morning and we haven't missed a beat reuniting. We listened to music and shared cigarettes on the front porch. Ams showed up, and we got dinner at Wendy's--always an adventure with Tyler!--and then got ice cream during a half-remembered, dead-of-night trip to the 24-hour Kroger. The Yosick Brothers really are like brothers to me, and I'm proud of that fact.

Friday. My 4-day vacation begins today! Dylan and Tyler left early to go see their parents, and I did likewise: I went to Springboro Intermediate and met up with Mom. She introduced me to some of her fellow teachers and friends, and one of them was about my age and super cute, and she thought I was super sweet but I didn't get her name. There was a bank robbery at the 5/3 across from D.L.M., so I stopped at the Marketplace and bought a pack of cigarettes and watched the drama unfold, at least until I got bored: when the SWAT guys decked out in riot shields and riot gear retreated from the front doors, I shuffled off. Skylar joined me on my return trip to Cincinnati, and Dylan and Tyler showed up a bit later. We hit up Rock Bottom Brewery, and Dylan and I split the nachos with chicken and barbecue chicken pizza. He polished his meal off with a Crosley Field Pale Ale, and I did likewise with their mocha imperial stout (or porter? damn, can't remember) that's made with cocoa and Tazza Mia espresso. It was 12% APV, so you know it's good. We spent the evening inside and out of the wintry cold, hanging out with Blake, Amos and Ams.

Saturday. Dylan, Tyler and I got breakfast at The Anchor--my breakfast was two eggs over medium, wheat toast, and bacon with coffee and orange juice--and then we parted ways (but only for two days). I grabbed Skylar and jetted back up to Mom and Dad's place in Dayton. They're in Louisville--Dad had a race; remember why no White Castle?--and so I'm watching the place the rest of the weekend. I spent the evening, had Namaste India for both lunch and dinner (Saturdays aren't complete without some sort of Indian cuisine), and ran by Spring Valley to get a drink and visit with Abby and Leah. I rounded out the night with Black Keys playing on Mom's stereo-system and writing countless pages (i.e. nineteen) on my journey to the ever-nearing completion of Book One.

Sunday. "My legs ache in the cold and I'm sluggish without coffee. I'm such an old man." It's a true story. How is it that winter seems to have been warmer than spring is now? I've had it with the dreary skies and endless rain, I'm tired of my body aching sunrise to sunset. I just want it to be warm again, and I refuse to change the wintry template of this blog to an upbeat, sunny one until the weather gets its shit together. I took care of my second old-man characteristic with a double shot from Starbucks (I'm seeing how much I rely on Tazza Mia and Anchor Grill for my caffeine needs: "I may drink a lot more coffee than I've previously led you to believe."), and I spent the rest of the morning writing, doing laundry, and deep cleaning the Celica. Mom and Dad returned from Louisville, and I jetted down to Cincinnati. Amos and I watched the hockey game, and Blake would've joined us (seeing as we watched it in his room), but he quite unfortunately had to work tonight. I went to The Anchor to drink coffee and do some reading, and then Ams and I rounded out the night hanging out in her room.


Hmmm. Not a bad week at all.
Hey! Thought bubble! Who remembers yerks?!

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...