Saturday, September 15, 2012

romans 9-11

Over the past couple weeks I've been working through a bible study on Romans by N.T. Wright. I chose Romans because it's one of the most complex yet beautiful letters of the New Testament, and because I wrote a lengthy exegesis on it back in my college days (170 pages!). I chose N.T. Wright because he's pretty much a bad-ass when it comes to anything in the realm of biblical studies. I've loved the study thus far, but I got pretty bogged down in Romans 9-11. It's a complicated passage, and to be honest I've never really had anything close to a solid grip on it. Sure, I could point out things here-&-there, but when it came to the overall scope and narrative flow of the section, I was all but lost. So I decided to take some time to really focus on these chapters, and I tickled my exegetical bone and put together a little synopsis of the section ("little" being 19 pages) so that I could get a decent bird's-eye view of the text without sacrificing the little details thrown in all over. It should come as no surprise that much of my understanding of this passage comes from what N.T. Wright has written regarding it in several of his works (Climax of the Covenant, Justification, and Paul have all been used as research). I've decided to upload the document not because I think any of my readers will be enthralled to read it, but because I'd like to have easy access to it whenever the need arises. So for those who may have bones tickled by such things, enjoy; and for those who don't care, reading this paragraph is a portion of time you'll never get back. Go do something useful. 

Romans 9 to 11


I've decided to use Scribd for most of my "short" writings. It's a good place to catalogue them, and you can embed them anywhere you like. Hell, you can even post them directly to Facebook! I've got another document in the works--"Election & Predestination"--and I'm still piecing together the first "assumption" of The Quest. Please be forewarned, it could be quite a while before it finds itself on this blog. 

2 comments:

Hooskers said...

Every time it's a post about the bible, I'm like "oh, never mind." hahaha.

darker than silence said...

lol

In hindsight I wish I would've posted this a few days earlier, on 9/11. Get it? ha. I'm stupid.

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...