Tuesday, September 25, 2012

the 65th week

Andy & Blake playing Checkers outside Cracker Barrel
The searingly-hot weather that has defined summer thus far has simmered down, and now the cold's been encroaching (it's a happy encroachment). I've busted out that autumn wardrobe, my sweaters and jeans. This is my favorite time of the year by far, even though I know once all the leaves are gone and the trees stand stark and naked, I'll be over it. But the period between the lushness of summer and the barrenness of winter is one I love. 

Monday. Jake & I opened, and after a post-work nap I went to The Anchor and did some reading on the American Revolution before heading over to the Loth House to hang out with Amos. He came home with me, and after a failed attempt at watching "Kazaam" (Andy was quite upset), we rounded out the rainy night watching episodes of "Eastbound and Down."

Tuesday. Amos & I opened, and the rainy morning brought cool temps and people were wearing jackets and jeans out on the street. Autumn is almost here! I got dinner at The Anchor (eggs, bacon, and biscuits & gravy), and I joined Ams, Amos and Brandy at the Loth House and called it a night early after some good talks with Andy out on our front porch.

Wednesday. Amos & I opened together yet again, and after work I went to The Anchor to do some writing, and I spent the evening reading up on The Battle of Brandywine Creek. Andy & I got Chinese for dinner and watched Mel Gibson's "Payback."

Thursday. I worked a long and tiring 10-hour shift, and spent the late evening over at Amos' playing video games with him and Brandy. John's dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma and started chemo immediately, already there's significant improvement. That's definitely excellent news! When I headed home I found myself locked out (lost my damned keys again), so I went over to Ams' place down the street and watched "Neverland" with her and Chris until Andy returned home from work.

The Last Day of Summer. I was 15 minutes late to work, but it was NBD. James & I had a solid morning, and I was off by 1:00. Tiffany brought in her kids, and they were adorable as always, and I made them some mini hot chocolates. After work I went to The Anchor and finished hammering out an essay (below) on predestination and election from a corporate perspective. I'm still wrestling with God's sovereignty and human freedom/responsibility, a paradox that has no easy answers or explanations. After hanging with Blake for a while, Ams and I met up with Eric & Tiffany and their kids, Lennon and Adler, at Rock Bottom to try out the newly-tapped Oktoberfest and to eat some good food. It was crowded, with Oktoberfest all up and down Vine Street and the Reds game, but we got a table pretty quickly once Tory saw us. Ams & I split nachos and Lennon had some, too, and we all got pretty tipsy off the Oktoberfest. Amos joined us after the Barista Jam at Carew Tower, and Brandon made his way down from his apartment on Walnut. After dinner Brandon, Ams & I walked around downtown for a while, even stopped by the Starbucks on 5th and Vine to see Carly, and I ended the night over at Amos' house playing MW3 with Amos. 

The First Day of Autumn. I woke early and went to The Anchor to finish by Romans study by N.T. Wright. I decided to celebrate this first day of autumn with a trip into Kentucky: I went down to Big Bone Lick, "The Birthplace of American Vertebrate Paleontology" (so you know it's good), and did some hiking. On the way back home I picked up some ornamental gourds and Indian corn and got some kick-ass books on the Civil War, covering Chancellorsville, The Battle of the Wilderness, Gettysburg, and Sherman's March to the Sea. I had leftover Chinese from Wednesday while watching "American Zombie," and after a nap I went to The Anchor and did some writing. Blake, Andy & I got dinner at Cracker Barrel in Florence and ended the night watching the second "Sherlock Holmes."

Sunday. I went to The Anchor for a while this morning, then got some breakfast burritos from McDonald's for breakfast. I missed Southwest this morning so I listened to a sermon podcast from livechurch.tv, it was about trusting God amidst the unknowns, troubles, and disappointments of our lives. I spent some time at The Anchor and ended the night hanging out with Amos at the Loth House.

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...