Wednesday, May 28, 2014

of The Shining and the Civil War


This morning I finished Stephen King's The Shining, and when Mandy and I see each other IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS we're going to watch the movie together. I haven't seen it (except for that clip shown in the movie Twister, right before the high-octane tornado tears the screen apart), and I'm pretty stoked about cuddling up with her and seeing how the Stanley Kubrick's film adaptation differs from the book. Based upon what little I know about the movie, I'm pretty sure they're wildly different at parts (for example: the book doesn't have the typewriter pages littered with all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, and the twin girls are a part of the Hotel's history without being an active part of the plot). 

Now that I've spent May "unwinding" through fiction, I'm turning my attention to history again. A history of the narrative sort. Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative. 


The first book (covering Lincoln's inauguration to the Battle of Kentucky) spans 800 pages. After reading King's The Stand, I feel 800 pages is a shrug of the shoulders and nothing more. 

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...