Sunday, May 04, 2014

re:CampGrow


The Ethingtons, Mandy and I went to Camp Grow on Green Lake this afternoon. It's been close to a year since they all worked there, and there were lots of emotions and even more memories, even for me. I hadn't been there since 2011, when I came up to Wisconsin from Cincinnati and visited Mandy and met the Ethingtons for the first time. As Mandy and I pulled up the gravel drive flanking the green pastures, herds of deer grazed, and I remembered when Mandy drove a golf cart straight through a similar herd in 2011, the deer scattering all around us. It reminded me of that scene in The Lost World where the paleontologists drive their military vehicles through herds of apatosaurs, pachycephalosaurs, and parasaurolophuses. We went down to Spring Lake where Mandy and I took kayaks out at sunset, and we visited the boathouse where Mandy and I had stood and she confessed not knowing exactly how she felt about us. We went to the game room on the top floor of the Lodge where Mandy and I had watched New York, I Love You. I never expected after that trip to be back to that camp, and I enjoyed walking around with her hand in mine, reflecting on all that has transpired, how we've come together, and not just that, but how we love one another. It really is remarkable. Life has its seasons, and God takes us different directions throughout our lives to use us for His kingdom and for His glory. I'm excited to see how God will use me and Mandy is Wisconsin as we begin our lives "in real time" as a missional couple. I thank God for you always when I remember you in my prayers. 

A thousand other boys couldn't reach you.
How could I have been the one?
(Goo Goo Dolls)

No comments:

where we're headed

Over the last several years, we've undergone a shift in how we operate as a family. We're coming to what we hope is a better underst...